Sunday, February 20, 2011

Bus Terminal

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!
Happy Birthday to my youngest sister J- out there on the West Coast today!

The bus station here in Portland is a pretty 'plain jane' place. Pretty blank. Pretty desolate. Pretty cold too. Just like those long bus rides in college from western New York to southern Maine. I never asked for a plane ticket. I didn't think it was right with four kids. What a son! I flew once in four years. Outta the blue, a ticket was sitting on the kitchen table one morning. I usually boarded the bus around 2:30 in the afternoon and pulled into Portland, if I was lucky, at 11 AM the next day. The buses at night were cold, clammy, and greasy. That combination made trying to get some sleep almost impossible. The trip was long! I ventured home at Christmas break only; that trip was boarderline torture for the last 5-6 hours. Although I called every 10 days or so, it was so exciting to see family and friends again. The 'baby' seemed always to be the first to greet me at the front door. It was good to be away at school, away from distractions here, but great to be home again.

17 comments:

  1. Happy, happy birthday sweet 'baby'! Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bon anniversaire !

    I actually think that as bus stations go, this one is rather cheery. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting angle you've chosen for the bus station, Birdman. Happy Birthday to your baby sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can relate to those last few hours on a long bus trip. Your photo does portray the bus station as a desolate place as for the most part it probably is. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to LBJ! Enjoy your weekend at Hood River!

    Love,
    C and the whole Florida Checks In Bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took a bus trip once while in college. Yuck, is the only words I can use on here to describe that little adventure. Happy Birthday to your sister. She shares this birthday with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Took a 24 hour bus trip to Colorado on a geology field trip one year. We were all so young then, it didn't seem so bad. Now days, ugh, it would be a tribulation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that the birthday is as wonderful as you are, "Little Sister"!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photo and memory. Many happy returns to l'll bj.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post as always. You don't see Greyhound around here that much. Love the painted building.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember something about bus trips...
    Happy Birthday to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your stories! Also really like the greyhound sign.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, I used to travel back and forth by bus too.

    I hope your sister is enjoying a GREAT birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday to your sister! Yes, Birdman, this does qualify as a plain Jane bus station. Not that there are many gussied up ones . . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think they tried to make up for that with all that color!

    ReplyDelete
  16. BM, I remember oh so well those long distant phone calls from you. We were all on the phone extention trying to get a word in. For me, just to hear your voice was calming. It was sad that you were not with us at Thanksgiving but always content at Christmas when the family was whole once again.
    Thank you for thinking of me.

    ReplyDelete