Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Snowy Owl

"It's a bird. 
It's a plane.
It's ..."
No, it's a bird. 
Of course, it's a snowy owl! Now because millions who read this blog wanted to see it. Ta Da! After all the winter weather this year did you think we might be trying to track down a summer owl of sorts? As related yesterday, we had just about given up our quest for a sighting at Biddeford Pool, when heading out along a road traversing the marsh with a few summer beach houses, we spotted it atop a house. Pretty cool. We had it all to ourselves for about 10 minutes. Over the last 4-5 years, there's been a bit of invasion of these birds in Maine. Increasing populations and a lack of food has driven them south in the winter. I read recently that they have even been spotted as far south as Georgia and Florida in recent years. This one was probably searching the nearby marsh area for rodents, small mammals or sea birds.
There.
My work is done here.
Owl fever.
Catch it!

18 comments:

  1. Looks like a grand, good omen standing there. . . great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks to me as if he's taking a nap. Did you sing him a lullaby?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping you goat a shot of the owl. He's a cute, fluffy figure up there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! i was wondering if you were going to show it to us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In some parts of France , one says that to see a white owl brings luck ! Thank you for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thrilling!! What a great treat that must have been to spot him/her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You done good! Thanks for sharing. 'Tis a very cool picture! In only you had some snow around to go with the owl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! You have a sharp eye, but I guess it makes since, you are the Birdman after all. My grandfather told me owls tend to bring wisdom and guidance. You have much wisdom already, though guidance is almost always a good thing. Your fellow Stirling clan kids miss you very much! Hope to see you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! You have a sharp eye, but I guess it makes since, you are the Birdman after all. My grandfather told me owls tend to bring wisdom and guidance. You have much wisdom already, though guidance is almost always a good thing. Your fellow Stirling clan kids miss you very much! Hope to see you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How neat to see this snowy owl and be able to get a good photo. Owls are fascinating. They are the stealth fighter of the bird world flying silently and reducing the mouse and vole population.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, now I'm satisfied. I know we don't have snowy owls here in Texas (they would probably succomb to the heat!) but we do have owls, what variety I have no clue since I have never seen one. One of my neighbors says there is one that lives down in the woods on my property line. Perhaps someday he'll come and visit. I keep hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clever guy, he is! He's very white so I suspect it's a male.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bravo! These are such cool birds! Up close they sort of look like they're smiling.

    ReplyDelete