Friday, July 17, 2009

Zeitman's Market

I've always liked this 'run' of buildings on Fore Street down in the Old Port, note the cobblestone streets. Above a tavern at No. 338, there is a black-and-gold sign reading 'Zeitmans'. This was Bessie and Otto Zeitman’s boarding house and grocery store. It has quite a history in the city. The architecture of the buildings, seen here, seems to be quite random, and I think leads to the allure of the area for me. The shapes and the colors just grab my eye.

4 comments:

  1. I always wondered about that Zeitman's sign. Thanks for shedding a little light on it. This is a wonderful shot of a wonderful piece of Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scene is wonderful and it's obvious what it is so attractive about. The odd jumble of shapes and colors. I like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldnt want to have to clean all those windows

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty. I was just recently there--whata wonderful place--and such a pretty capture.

    ReplyDelete