Thursday, September 3, 2009

GRACE

The old Chestnut Street Church dates back to before the Civil War. Architect, Charles Alexander, was quite popular in Portland in the 1850s and 1860s, but because of the great fire in the city, this is his only surviving piece of work. Today, the church has reopened as a restaurant called GRACE. I haven't eaten there myself, but I have a friend who has 'broken bread' within the walls, and she said, "I'm not a religious person, but I did feel a little strange eating dinner on the altar". She went on to say that the restaurant was quite beautiful inside, but that the entrees were a bit overpriced but delicious. I've seen photographs of the inside, and I must say the architecture is quite stunning. I guess you could say that eating here is truly a 'religious experience'!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, Birdman. Maybe a celebration for surviving the first week back at school?

    ReplyDelete