Thursday, December 2, 2010

Bay Bridge

Here's another view of the Casco Bay Bridge, looking down Commercial Street. The bridge spans the Fore River and connects Portland and South Portland. About a year ago, I photographed the entrance ramp in the foreground and to the left. The color and the lines of the bridgework itself intrigue me as I travel under it. Do you get a bit apprehensive when driving over large, expansive bridges? I don't, but I often have dreams where I'm trapped on a mountain ledge, a precarious roof position or at the top of an extremely large tree. I've made my way up but can't get down. I reach a cul-de-sac with no way out. I'm in a death defying position, that seems so real and scary... and then it's over. Dreams. Ya gotta love 'em!

13 comments:

  1. Modern bridge there and the columns are huge!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow bridges tie into your dreams...but with me, bridges tie into sun. In a car, wind blowing through the open windows, and you glance up at the sky. The warm sun beats down, for a tiny second all goes dark, it get cold and chilly but then you are out in the sun again, with warm and light

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about the dream where you're driving up a bridge only to reach the top and discover the other half is missing...*slam brakes*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not me. I just drive over them and keep my eyes closed. Works every time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is quite a conversation going here about dreams and fears. I'm one of those who find some (not all) bridges a bit scary but I don't recall ever having a dream about them. The bridge I find the scariest is the Coronado Bay bridge in San Diego. Thankfully, I don't have to cross it but once or twice every 10 years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alas, I have a phobia about driving over bridges or through tunnels. I can be a passenger but not the driver. Fortunately I don't dream about this phobia. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe there are no cars in sight! I like this view on the bridge. I don't get nervous driving over them, but walking out on a bridge is another thing. At least on big ones like Golden Gate, etc.

    My recurring dreams usually involve me chasing people or not being recognized. Guess that says something about me, huh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a recurring dream about going over a bridge and it suddenly starts dipping into the water. I've never been able to figure that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ya, love Sunday AM. Few people, few cars. Maine.... the way Life Should Be! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. A "Bird" man should not be afraid of high places, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, you need to chill. I only worry about driving along big under- and overpasses when I'm on the west coast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would only worry if I was underneath and something was coming over the edge at me. Nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admire the construction of bridges but I don't like to be stopped in traffic on them or under them!
    ☼ Sunny

    ReplyDelete