Saturday, January 14, 2012

Sunflower Demise

Up in the garden, our sunflowers have long ago taken their final bows. A few, like this one, are hanging on and keeping the vacant birdhouses company. Most up here lies dormant now, but it's alive for your camera. In long ago winters, I always enjoyed a good adventure alone. Many times accompanied by my trusty sled, but often just me alone, I'd trudge off into the woods off Gulliver's Field to see what the snow covered woods would reveal. I needed to know. Most days it was not easy going, as I remember, but it was well worth the effort. The solitude was breath taking at times, even in my ordinary neighborhood. I liked to make my 'mark' with my gumrubbers on the new fallen snow. I still do.

11 comments:

  1. I find sunflowers beautiful as dried flowers as well as in bloom. Nice photo of the final bow -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those days when I can go off alone to explore. Just you and nature. Nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Days of exploration as a kid seems so idyllic today as an adult!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to look back at a solitary trail of footprints in new snow too especially accompanied by some doggy prints. I don't know why but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're lucky you're able to leave a mark. I am the guy that George Jones sings about: "Every time I make my mark, someone paints the wall"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dried sunflower looks lovely under a bit of snow. I still enjoy making footprints in the snow. I like to get there before the rabbits and squirrels do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is something other-worldly about the quiet around you with new fallen snow everywhere.
    I'm not sure what was wrong but for the last couple of days I couldn't comment on your site. Every time I clicked on the comments link, the screen just went a blank white. I tried on 3 different computers, same thing. So glad its working again this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always hated to make marks on the clean fallen snow and will still, as an adult, will walk so as not to mess up the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see the images from your trek.

    ReplyDelete
  10. there's a push and pull in me: admiration for the clean untrammeled field of snow vs. jubilation in being the first prints to mark it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, love these discoveries, but have now snuck off to sunny NC for more sandy quests.

    ReplyDelete