Friday, September 25, 2015

Prancing Gargoyles

She's to blame!
It's all Gloria's fault.
I've talked about my Aunt Gloria before. It's all her fault. She sent me my first camera from a PX on an airbase in Germany. It got into my little grubby hands in July of my 11th year and I have been photographing ever since. The first photos that I had Mom run and develop at the Rexall Drug at the corner were taken on the Nelson's porch of a bunch of best friend hanging out. Let's see, I captured Billy, Linda, Eddie, Leo, Skipper, Judy, Judd and a few others as I remember. 
Say Cheese!
And another thing, she also turned me on to gargoyles. During my eighth grade year at Lincoln Junior, she sent me a pair of gargoyle bookends, again another birthday present. I spent nights in bed rolling the ceramic bookends around in my hands. I never suffered any nightmares from this gift. I probably should have. I think I even remember doing a writing assignment on them for Ms Storer in 8th Grade.
My love of cameras came from her.
My love of gargoyles came from her.
Thank you Gigi!

16 comments:

  1. Didn't know gargoyles could prance. Now I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a most interesting creature!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that is your gargoyle collection in the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not the only one who likes gargoyles and grotesques around the house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, gargoyles are awesome, not scary, and very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, gargoyles are awesome, not scary, and very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny the things that happen in childhood that will influence our whole lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love gargoyles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good to recognize your sources of inspiration. I didn't have anyone to start me in photography. It was the introduction of the first consumer models in 1999 that got me hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like gargoyles! And photography. My first picture I took with my first camera is enshrined here: http://webcroft.blogspot.com/2006/12/photo-from-5-decades-ago.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's one heck of a cool aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky you to have camera mentors at such an early age.

    ReplyDelete