Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Basketball Ice

Although the snow is gone, I had to post this image of the Payson Park basketball court as soon as I saw it come up on my viewfinder. Why? It's is a vivid reminder of the driveway at 820 Stevens on winter nights and basketball. Just as soon as Dad put the basket up over the garage door and measured it at 10 feet, for me and the gang, it was Game On! Most days and nights the neighborhood boys would assemble for pickup games, in rain, snow or bright sunshine. The 'court' wasn't perfect either, as I remember it-- there was a small hill, a large overhanging tree, a bulkhead, back steps and even an in the ground garbage can that all provided obstacles and made the games even more interesting. And when we weren't out there playing games, or playing HORSE or PIG, I was out there shooting baskets til Mom flicked the lights at 11 PM. Ya, when I see a basketball court covered with snow or ice I think back to games in that driveway. Wonderful memories!

10 comments:

  1. I wonder if you ever held still as a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have similar memories. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this shot a lot. The water and the colors and the trees...great blend of component interest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This picture is wonderful.I loved those reflections, well done!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice memories, I wasn't so good at nasketball but it was so fun anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a beautifully composed picture! I like the reflections too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really like the tones and composition. There's something universal about your rememberances. Is that a word?

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow i love basketball i bet that if you know me enough that you know that i would be on that court ballin in the cold and snow!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete