Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Bazaar2

"Grease is the word, is the word, is the word..."
And it's not 'greased lightning' either. Hardly! Making your way up this baby is one long, two day, tedious process. Lots of inquiries on yesterday's blog about the greased pole. So here it is, in all its 2011 glory. Ta da! The grease pole at St. Peter's Italian Festival. From top to bottom, I'd say the pole was about 30 feet tall, loaded with chestnut-yellow, thick grease. Back in my day, there was $100 bill attached to the pinnacle. Today, the object of the boys (why is it always boys attempting this maneuver?) attention was the small American flag flowing atop. As you might gather from these photos, the process towards the top involves assorted rags that help to eliminate the grease, and big bodies that the smaller lads stand upon as a base, before shinnying their way up to the top and glory. As for clothes and aroma, their t-shirts are ruined, a mess really, and they smell worse, if you ask me. By the way, the job is always done by Sunday evening, The flag has always been captured!

ps. In answer to the many inquiries of yesterday, I did NOT take a trip up the pole, but I did have to hold Elenka back!

13 comments:

  1. ils sont forts et courageux de porter (ou de mettre en place) ce grand poteau

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a rite of manhood to attempt to shimmy up the pole. Do any girls try it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. " but I did have to hold Elenka back!"

    Scenerio: 1. Greased pole 2. Handsome young men climbing pole.

    You do the math.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I would not make it even without grease! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you do make an attempt I hope someone has a camera handy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You didn't climb the pole? And I thought you were called "greased lightning"! Sheesh!

    Actually, it appears to be impossible. Is their a mattress at the bottom if someone slips/slides down to land in a heap?

    Re your comment about the lights: They are not to entice women to shop, but to direct them to the most expensive areas of the store -- the jewelry and perfume counters! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha..... Love Elenka's comment to your statement about her.... You two remind me of George and me.... Two crazies!!!!! ha ha...

    Thanks for telling us more about the greasy pole....
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is what I was missing.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  9. How extraordinary!
    Having said that, I love these strange traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was able to do this... 15 kilos and thirty years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A girl knows better than try to climb a grease pole and gather the smell in clothing, hair and what not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Completely bizarre. This goes down in the annals of local American wackiness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the things people will do for a 'challenge' Birdman, gosh all that expended energy, makes me tired just thinking about it!!

    ReplyDelete