Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wet Tuesday

A couple of days of needed rain and complaints about the weather are already in the air. The first summer Elenka stayed in Maine for the entire summer, we decided to go camping at Camden Hills State Park. We packed her new Vega hatchback to the gills and headed out on a Friday afternoon for a weekend of blissful camping, hiking and campfires under starry skies. Friday night's meal of burgers and corn on the cob and the hours spent in conversation sitting around a blazing fire was right out of a textbook's guide to camping. However, as were were putting the campfire out for the night, raindrops started falling. The rain, heavy at times, lasted through the night with water leaking in and soaking our sleeping bags. In the morning, we were kind of miserable but not deterred. We WERE going to cook breakfast with our Coleman stove even in the rain. It wasn't pleasant work, but we got the job done thanks to a piece of plastic in front of our tent. We actually had scrambled eggs, toast and coffee. We survived breakfast, barely! We thought a few hours walking around Camden and the skies would clear for lunch and hiking. Wrong! Later, after crawling back into our tent, we dined on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, played many card games and suffered sore backs. Saturday afternoon, after listening to the weather report, (why we didn't do this in advance, I do not know. We go nowhere now without getting a forecast) we took the tent down in the pouring rain. Soaking wet, we drove back home. We were discouraged, but it didn't prevent us from countless other camping trips close and far away. We learned a lot that first time together and were much better prepared for future trips. And today the sun is back shinning brightly... "after the rain, sunshine". My sister had a music box that played that melody. Wet Tuesday, Sunny Wednesday. It all comes around!

20 comments:

  1. belle scène de rue pendant l'été ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny Birdman!! Camping can be a real hit or miss affair. You guys are lucky that you can rely on your weather forecasts, the weather forecasters here just take a stab in the dark and hope for the best, I've never known such changeable weather, keeps you on your toes and guessing. Your rainy day picture is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know, it's those times that things don't go as planned, those are the most memorable!
    we haven't gotten a camping trip in this summer. it's so hard to plan stuff now with my oldest working....love that pink/black canopy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like reading this post. Lots of imagination went wild...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got memories of similar camping experiences. Nothing worse than a wet sleeping bag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I go camping I don't worry about the weather. Of course, I usually camp at the Hilton Garden Inn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those first few days, weeks, months together......ahhhhhh.

    If this situation occurred now, we'd be outa there before the scrambled eggs!! Not that our time together is not still romantic, it is.... but I am no longer willing to have hair issues and freezing my tail off if I can help it!

    See what 36 years of marriage can do??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No meal can ever match one that's cooked outdoors on a Coleman. Even pancakes that are charred on the outside and raw inside -- delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like most of my camping experiences - wet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The weather here is not too hot for August, but some rain would be appreciated...

    ReplyDelete
  11. These memories end up being some of the best, I think...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ho, that sounds like a few camping trips I've been on - with little kids in tow. oy! Now I have zero (I said ZERO) interest in camping. Zero.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can remember one rainy camping trip and we bailed after the first night, taking it all home, and camping out in the garage... at least we were dry. Another great story, and as Elenka pointed out, we may not be willing to do the same as we did many years ago (for a variety of reasons!)

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember cooking breakfast on a Coleman stove with a plastic sheet over my head to keep the rain out. We weren't deterred either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Occasionally, despite my great age, I still endure the rigours of wild camping with my son. One day I will try and analyse why I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha---your story reminded me of a similar one we had. When the kids were little, we took them camping in the Smokies... We got a really nice site near the creek... (You know what I'm going to say!!) Anyhow--the heavy rains came and the creek rose and rose and rose... SO--we had to get out of there and take the tent down in the middle of the night that time.. It took us weeks to get everything dried out...
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. As the saying goes, everyone talks about the weather but no one does anything about it. You know that I am a city boy through and through. My idea of a weekend in the wilderness is a great rate at the Hyatt in Scottsdale.

    ReplyDelete
  18. aint life grand?


    Aloha from Waikiki;


    Comfort Spiral
    > < } } ( ° >



    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete