Friday, December 19, 2014

Holiday Carol

"You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato. There's more gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!" Charles Dickens

We attended a performance of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" at Portland Stage Company last evening. We've gone to this holiday show many, many times over the years. It is indeed a performance that for me never grows old. Each year, with a new cast, they make subtle changes that add so much. Last night was no exception. If you leave the theater and head out into the cold, dark night after this 'story' and you're not in a holiday mood, check your pulse!
Bravo!

"No space of regret can make amends for one life's opportunity misused."
C. Dickens, A Christmas Carol

19 comments:

  1. It seems to be a great show, perfect fot this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, watched the movie version with Alec Guinness--my favorite--a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure it was a good show, and love that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One's own Christmas traditions ware some of the best aspects of the holiday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great show and fun to be aware of the changes from year to year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet I would enjoy this too! I don't think any of our theatre companies are doing a production this year. However the Arizona Ballet Company is doing "The Nutcracker" again and I'm thinking of getting a ticket. I do love that production.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christmas traditions are a good thing, glad you enjoyed the show Birdman.. Here's wishing yourself and Elenka a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always watch the movie version with Alastair Sims.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay. It's on my list now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been staged here in theatres and churches, but I've only read the story and watched several movie versions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like fun -- going to have to see what's on up here . . . (live) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read it every year and should attend the performance more often. Happy Holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It has been a long time since I saw this play. I have reached the point at which I really don't think I could sit through another performance of the Nutcracker, but I probably have one or two more Christmas Carol's in me before I melt down and scream in the middle of the performance.

    ReplyDelete