Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Circus, Circus

Well, the elections are over, and the Circus has come to Maine... for the next four years and maybe beyond. Growing up on Stevens, the voting booths were located at the Arbor Street Fire Station. We woke up on Election Day one year and gigantic shoe prints were painted in white leading to the station. On our way to school, we figured that the neighborhood had been overrun by giants from another world, wearing HUGE shoes, until someone mentioned it was voting day. And of course, all the footprints led to the fire station, where red, white and blue bunting was hanging just above the three doors. We all had a good chuckle on that one. We kids had been had! With "We Like Ike" signs everywhere, it was Eisenhower easily winning a second term.

9 comments:

  1. I hope they can decide for the best to people there.I need to confess that I don't understand politic stuffs neither those people that say a lot and do nothing...anyway I'm always thinking positive.
    Good luck there
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always found the circus disturbing...the one under the bigtop and the political one. Good post, Birdman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A funny story. Looks like we're in for another few years under the big top. It never ends, really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would seem that the same circus will be here for the next 4 years too! I think the first election I can remember was when JFK was elected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Ringling Bros.! As in John Ringling, whose name is on virtually everything brick and mortar in Sarasota.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya, many of my friends wonder if I attended clown college there. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete