Thursday, March 7, 2013

Storm Windows

Here are a couple storm windows keeping Old Man winter on the outside in the middle of a good blow. Of course, when I used to help Dad on Stevens put storm windows on in November, it was an entirely different ball game. All the downstair's windows had large, heavy panes that had to be lugged up from the cellar  and screwed into the framework with 4 large bolts and accompanying washers. Dad did the screwing, while I did the holding, and this attaching of the winter windows always seemed fall on the most  blustery of Sundays. The upstairs had no storm windows and that was both good and bad. It made for some noisy, cool winter nights in my bedroom, but also provided easy access to the roof for snow (indoor snowball fights were fun), a place to attach my crystal radio and relief when I just needed a cold February blast to cleanse my face.
Winters growing up in Maine back then, you had to make a lot of your own fun.

11 comments:

  1. More than one morning I awoke to a sliver of snow on the inside on my bedroom window. It didn't melt, you had to brush it off. Thanks for the reminder-of why I love gas heat and insulated windows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. . . . a good kind of fun, that . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indoor snowball fights?? Your mother must have loved that.
    I hadn't thought about storm windows in many, many years. I remember my dad and my grandfather doing that task. You certainly have a knack for jogging loose those childhood memories. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we didn't have storm windows on our upstairs windows at the old wisconsin farmhouse, either. would make for lots of finger prints pressed into the ice and frost on the inside of the pane. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The frost used to make such wonderful patterns on the glass!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best part was looking out our bedroom windows in the front of the house at the snow coming down fast reflected in the streetlights...ushing in another snow day!

    Ah, the good old days! When a snow day was a snow day.

    Lakeland Checks In!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We used to put snowballs in the freezer...A lot of work, those old windows!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post brings back a lot of memories. Our house had the wooden storm windows that were put on for the winter. Remember the three little vent holes that could be opened? Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm enjoying your story a lot! :)
    Lovely composition in this image!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete