Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Lobster Pots

Steamin'!
The outside lobster pots were loaded when we visited Stewman's Lobster Pound recently on our trip to Bar Harbor. When I'm out to a restaurant, my summer menu selection usually gravitates towards a meal that I can't get at home. Lobsters are easy to prepare. For me, the most difficult 'mountain to climb' in the enjoyment of this Maine succulent delicacy is the price per pound. It fluctuates quite a bit throughout the year, usually peaking during the summer tourist season. Here they are cooked over a wood-fired oven. At home, the recipe is simple: fill our lobster pot about 3/4 full of water, bring to a boil, look away and drop in the soon to be tasty crustaceans into the steaming water for about 20 minutes. They enter a dull greenish hue and come out bright red. Regardless to what PETA dishes out, you will hear no screams, and it's a pretty painless operation for Mr. and Mrs. Lobster. Next, sit back and enjoy the feast. The tail and the claws contain the most meat. Whether you've got a hard or soft shell, melt some butter, crack them open and let the pleasurable activity commence.
Out the other night, we did partake in couple of lobster rolls at the Harraseeket Lobster Pound.
Delicious too!
Do it yourself or let someone else prepare them.
The results will both be scrumptious!
Pass the butter, please. 
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  

21 comments:

  1. I am salivating as I am reading your post! You folks in that part of the country are SPOILED!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delish Birdman but I would always let someone else do the preparation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds heavenly to me. I haven't had any lobster for 4 or 5 months. I need to track some down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a trip I took aboard a ferry to and from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, I distinctly remember them screaming, Birdman. Makes me wonder what they were doing to them back there in the kitchen--torturing them? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure that I could toss the live lobster into a pot at home, but I do love lobster! We partook in the "feast" when we visited Prince Edward Island a few years ago. I also developed a taste for lobster rolls while there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tossin' lobstas in the pot is easy for me. I just don't pay attention to the "ouch, ouch, ouch, hot, hot, hot..."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll let someone else do it! I haven't had lobster since I was in PEI a couple of years ago. We don't get many living in Lake Ontario! ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Birdman, you really know how to rub it in to a Midwesterner like me. We could not be further from the sea and all those delicious lobsters. But then we do quite well with beef and pork.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd much rather have steak than seafood!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll leave it to you. I prefer langouste, langoustines, spider crabs...

    ReplyDelete
  11. My (formerly) commercial fisherman husband has cooked many a crab. He's no PETA type but says crabs scream. Maybe west coasters are just noisier sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've stopped at that lobster roll place in Wicasset. Pretty good, but I've also looked at the line and kept on going. Looking forward to fresh salmon, halibut and crab in the coming days. And maybe mooseburger, if that's legal. Well, probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love lobster but if you think it's expensive in Maine, you should check it out here! So we just substitute Gulf Coast shrimp and occasionally some good old river catfish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Especially delicious thoughts of yummy Maine lobster. The hardest part is to see them change color when dropped into water. You know they have transitioned from the land of the living! Fun post!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sinceramente, llegué por casualidad, pero veo que tenemos varios amigos en común.
    La foto me atrapó, con tiempo voy a leer textos anteriores, creo que hay muy buen material.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did I ever tell you of my idea of starting a religion based on the Maine lobster? I, at least, worship at the altar of the lobster pot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spent a week in Maine before my daughter graduated from high school, wanted her to see some of the places I grew up, and our first stop was Portland. Did the Freeport thing and ate at the Muddy Rudder where I had, you guessed it, lobster. We then migrated our way up to Bar Harbor. I cam real close to stopping on the side of the road where there was a sharp bend after you leave the Interstate. There was a car lot there, OLD, rusty 1940's and maybe older, and a guy with freshly boiled lobster for $3.50 w/drawn butter. My wife wouldn't let me take the time. After making it to Bar Harbor we decided to eat. The girls wanted Italian and pizza so we found this little pizza joint where I had LOBSTER! Drooling now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are spoiled, aren't we? Lobster is on the menu in Florida, but I generally skip it and wait until I get back in New England. Last week I was on Cape Cod and I probably had some version of lobster on three out of seven nights. Except for one lobster roll that was disappointingly tasteless, the lobsters were wonderful. (BTW, you want to put the lobsters in the boiling water face first . . . that way there is no pain.)

    ReplyDelete