Saturday, August 1, 2015

Theme Day: Bicycle

Today, August 1, is Theme Day across the world-wide  CDP (citydailyphoto) blog community. Can you think of an image that better encapsulates a warm August summer day than a bike ready for action? Sure you could, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a better one. I still remember the afternoon in July that I got my brand new JC Higgins model. Bright red with silver fenders, I was the envy of the neighborhood. Ok, I made that last sentence up in my imagination, but I envied myself, if it is possible do that. It had front and rear hand brakes, and I bet I rode it up and down Stevens practicing using them hundreds of times. It was a work bike. When I got my paper route, I put wire baskets on the back able to lug 75 newspapers through the neighborhood. It was a fun bike. Back then, we did everything it seemed and went everywhere on our bicycles. Night or day, rain or snow or hot blazing sun, we had them with us. It was my friend. I'm not exaggerating either. We were inseparable. I fell in love with it. It was a big boy bike. With silver fenders, white-wall tires, silver light on the front, a comfortable seat and a little, black, faux leather pouch hanging off the seat for 'secret stuff', we were made for each other. It served me well all through those growing up years. Well, at least until I got my Honda. Then it was bye-bye.
Best friends.
Through the good days and the not so good.
The not so good days?
Rainy days.
But then again, rain and bikes were fun too.
Boys, bikes and rain: an entirely different dimension.

24 comments:

  1. For you and many more of us a bike certainly captures memories of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A basket always adds so much intrigue! I can just see you delivering papers. Charming!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  3. i put a lot of miles on bikes as a kid on wisconsin gravel roads and a few paved highways, too. :) lovely image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a 3-speed hand-me-down from my brothers--slow,slower and slowest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ode. From age five to fifteen, I practically lived on bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. enjoyed the story you added to your post ... this theme day is bringing back lots of good memories from days gone bye

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned to bike a bit later than most- I was probably nine when I started, and for years I would bike regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My bike wouldn't have been the envy of anyone but, it sure was my ticket to my first taste of freedom. I rode it all over town to places I wasn't supposed to go and to other places. It gave me such a feeling of independence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I did the same thing.

      Delete
    2. I'll agree with you there. Got to school, the library, DHS football games, the best penny candy store even once or twice to caddying at Riverside

      Delete
  9. I was never lucky enough to have a bike with handbrakes or gears until I was an adult. It never slowed me down though! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am back again with a different message. Based on our conversation several days ago, you need to read this: http://www.startribune.com/streetscapes-dinkytown-manages-to-stay-weird-despite-change/320296861/
    I'm losing sleep over your definition: never thought I lived a sheltered life, but don't understand what makes you "blush?!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. There was a time when I rode my bicycle to work also with the rain: ever tried driving with one hand keeping an umbrella with the other? It was quite common here... Not in windy rain, obviously!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I thoroughly enjoyed that little reminisce, BM. And to answer your rhetorical question: yes, I think it is possible to envy yourself. The idea is very appealing. Sure beats the heck out of boasting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah yes, your story of your first bike is just fine. My first bike was a brown and cream colored, balloon tire Schwinn. It wasn't the high end model, but a standard bike without simulated gas tank and electric horn. We lived on a gravel road, and the bike negotiated the gravel just fine, but I used to ride it a mile over to a place where there were paved roads where it rolled so much more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I wish I could envy myself. Now I won't be able to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you couldn't have asked for much more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful visual and narrated image!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great shot and I enjoyed your story too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My first (actually my only) bike was an English racing bike with three---count them, three!---gears. I felt like I could fly anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your story about your treasured bike Birdman.. My bike memories all relate to school, riding to school, it was a very social thing catching up with friends and chatting on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your story about your treasured bike Birdman.. My bike memories all relate to school, riding to school, it was a very social thing catching up with friends and chatting on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  21. An entertaining post for theme day. Nice photograph and amusing story to go with it. Happy days.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your childhood memories. A bike can be a way to freedom for young people. Nice choice for the theme day.

    ReplyDelete