Friday, October 29, 2010

DownEast5

Our weekend trip ended in Lubec, Maine, the easternmost point in the US, with a brief sojourn to the red and white candy striped West Quoddy Head Light. There has been a light here guiding ships through the Narrows since 1808. This distinctive light was built on this spot in 1858. Did you know it's the closest point to Africa in the 50 states? That is a strange fact, if you ask me. Later in Lubec, we stopped for coffee and stared across the water at Canada. The town reminded me an of an old West ghost town, abandoned buildings and few inhabitants. Soon we headed off on our 5 hour trip back home, across the airline to Bangor, then south. There were lots of sights along the way, with the autumn colors taking their final curtain call.


http://www.lighthouse.cc/westquoddy/

11 comments:

  1. Looks like you were lucky on the weather front, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You describe Lubec perfectly. After a visit there I thought I might like to move in for a spell. It seems the perfect place to get a lot of work done with few distractions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm going to have to study a map to see this closeness to Africa! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If that question ever comes up in a trivia contest, I'll be sure to thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This photo makes me Fourth-of-July proud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the perspective (and limits) on this photo. It leaves you wanting to see more -- great technique and I am taking notes...

    Have a great weekend,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shot BM! I remember when in 5th grade we had to do our Maine book. I found the striped light house so fascinating, in fact, even today I love seeing the pictures of this remote spot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great trip. Hope to take a similar route next summer.
    Meanwhile, maybe you will post a sample from that Dickens' book?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the perspective and the red, white, and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a woodcut of this lighthouse. Until now I've never thought of it as having color. You just never know where your next lesson is going to come from. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete