Thursday, January 22, 2015

-5 Frost

Last weekend it was me alone with the cats. Elenka left Thursday night for a extra long weekend with her Mom in Florida. It was kind of cool there but not as frigid as here in the North. Saturday morning, I awoke to -5°F and this frosty greeting on the family room window. It was cold, but not as cold as the previous week when Weather.com had us at  -20°F with a wind chill reading of -34°F. If you've never been in cold like that, I'll just say that, in my book, once it hits 0°F all bets are off. If the wind's not blowing, it makes no difference to me. I can't tell one below zero temperature from another.
Never could.
Never will.
My advice?
Just grin and bear it.
Oh, and enjoy the frosty designs on your windows.
You can scratch your name in it for added fun.

14 comments:

  1. I could never learn to "grin and bear it." When in high school in Minneapolis, we had several weeks when it never got above -20. And the points in my car always went out late at night when it was -24! Come to "cool" Florida. It's only going to be about 75 today. I'm still wearing a sweatshirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the same feeling when I lived in Illinois. Now I have the opposite problem. When it hits 110 degrees, after that, it feels all the same....just very, very hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never experienced those temps Birdman, would quite like to :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wonderful thing about when it's that cold and the wind is cutting into your throat like a knife, you never feel so alive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the wind that gets you! At least it was sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i remember that bitter cold. buried my father in wisconsin in january at -20F actual temp. don't know how the backhoes were even able to dig the gravesite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And Elenka was laughing reading about it from Florida. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is some really cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When it gets really cold like that just bundle up, stay home, read a good book, find inside projects. That's what we did two weeks ago when the wind chills approached -35F. But now we've flown to a warmer climate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is pretty darn cold. I've been in -25F in Idaho. That was no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a beautiful design, a sort of frosted up spider's web...for me, zero degrees dictates staying in... or wrapping a huge scarf around the face...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wind makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even as far south in Florida as I live, it has been cool. 40s overnight and some days stay in the 60s. Today it got to about 75. I do remember those cold winter days up north, but personally, I am happy to leave them behind me.

    ReplyDelete