Tuesday, October 6, 2015

MapWork5

When I bought my brand new, yellow Camaro, one of the first places I took it was to the Casco Bank at Morrills Corner to show my Dad. He walked around it, gave it the once over, shook his head and smiled. He said, "M- I've never had anything like this." Now, a little background is needed here. We're talking about a guy who had a Cobra Mustang,  a couple of Jags, multiple MG A and Bs, a beautiful aqua T-roof Thunderbird and an old black Mercedes in our driveways in my formative years. That statement stunned me. I couldn't understand it. I do now. J&Y's digs at their apartment complex in Northwest Austin is something I could never imagine living in before I was 30. It's an amazing place. Pool. Fitness Center. Community Building. The apartment itself is a far cry from the their Cumberland Avenue place. Compared to our first place on South Street, it's so much more. They are so lucky. Times have changed. Lifestyles have changed.
I can honestly say, before 30, "I never had anything like this."
Lucky them!
By the way, what I would give to have any of those cars in my driveway today.
Including that sleek Camaro.

18 comments:

  1. Times certainly have changed. I would have never said I wanted to live in an apartment but with all the amenities they have and me getting older and this acreage----the work seems to be getting harder---a relaxing dip in the pool at the end of the day sounds rather grand.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generational differences abound. It's interesting to contrast grandparents, parents, our own, our children's and now our grandkids life styles. Some commonalities but so many differences. Will it continue or stall somewhere in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pool is a necessity in Texas in the summer so many apartment complexes have them. Too bad you let that wonderful car collection vanish as cars will. I have one of them in my garage, and do enjoy driving it in good weather. For many in the M-C the children take up a life-style similar to their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand you perfectly! My first car was an Alfa Romeo...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing the amenities that apartment complexes have these days. However, the rooms appear to be getting smaller. At. least that's the way it seemed to me when I was looking for a place to move last year.
    Your dad had some very good taste in autos! What a collection that would make today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Times certainly have changed. I'll bet you wish you still had that yellow Camaro!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wanted a '67 yellow Camaro - can't believe you had a yellow Camaro. I never had one - always have had Hondas.
    Everyone has so much more than we ever had when we were kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do enjoy your stories. Yellow is the best color for a Camaro. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strangely I've never had much interest in sports cars.

    A Jeep, on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
  10. really glad they're doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Their place sounds nice! I would have loved to have had a yellow Camaro back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reflections on our lives!






    ALOHA
    ComfortSpiral

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nope, never had one of those. Bad enough that the police already had my number. Yellow would have been a dead giveaway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are going to love Austin. It is a special place. My company had offices in Austin and I visited my staff there maybe eight or nine times. Everyone I met was an Austin booster.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, things have changed, mostly for the better. My grandmother used to tell me that you could have the good old days. I sure wished that I had a 240Z, 260Z,280Z. Is it too late.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your dad had quite a fine collection of cars! We had the typical family style Ford sedans and I eventually had first my Corvair and then the '68 VW bug that stayed my best friend for almost 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is amazing what we remember about what our parents told us. And that point when we realize we are our parents.....

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete