Monday, October 12, 2015

Some Liberty


As you might imagine, any state that has "Vacationland" embossed on its license plate probably sees a lot of tourists each year. One new phenomenon in our city that has cropped up over the last fifteen years or so has been the influx of cruise ships docking. I visited the City Portland site 'Cruise Portland' and found out that over 400 cruise ships, of all all shapes and sizes, have made PORTland a 'port of call' since the first of May. Most of the big ships, like the Liberty of the Seas seen here yesterday, make most of their trips in September and through the month of October. They, of course, capitalize on the fall foliage season here in the state and the Maritime Provinces of Canada. The Liberty of the Seas is the largest of the ships making port this season. Yesterday, it dropped off many of its 3697 passengers and crew of 1360 to take tours of the city's streets via trolleys, walk the Old Port and visit the many restaurants offering a wide variety of cuisines. Piece of information: we have tastes for many things here other than lobster. The tour buses were lined up too, featuring destinations like LL Bean, the White Mountains of New Hampshire and, of course, many areas where their cameras could record the splashes of color that the state is known for in October. Standing here at Bug Light, I could hear the many announcements coming across the ship's PA system. I was that close. I know them well. Having sailed many a time on Royal Caribbean ships, this early morning viewing was special.
Was I envious?
You betcha!
Gangway!

*After all, I had to post a ship on Columbus Day.

22 comments:

  1. I had no idea! That's a lot of cruise ships. Is this a good thing, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you get to see all kinds of cruise ships this time of year. You probably remember that I'm NOT a cruise type traveler but, the one and only cruise I did take was from New York City to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland so we must have passed right by you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you got so many tourists! I've never had a trip on a cruise ship (unless you count the cruise down the Nile - but that was a much smaller ship...). I'd quite like to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to come to New England to see your autumn beauty but I think I'd rather see it by car rather than ship. I've never been on a cruise either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! We visited Portland every cruise while we were aboard Splendour of the Seas some years ago. Beautiful port! :) The Fall Foliage cruises are spectacular! Any ship with "...of the Seas" in the name is spectacular, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything in this post sounds quite familiar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to try one of those European river cruises.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Columbus would have been envious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the White Mountains! Say hi to Lafayette for me!

    ALOHA
    ComfortSpiral

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are some big ships. I've lived in Florida all my life and never set foot on a cruise ship. One of these days maybe….

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many tourists, but great for you economy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Strait of Juan de Fuca, less than a mile from our front door, is the passageway for virtually all cruises headed to and from Alaska. While many/most stop in Seattle, the small nearby port of Port Angeles can't accommodate those monster ships. The pilots just come and go from Pt. Angeles and we watch the ships as they come and go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen these huge ships when I've been in St Johns Newfoundland, and it's amazing how maneuverable they are, getting in and out of the tiny harbour entrance. Never been on one though. Unless you count the ferry from England to France....

    ReplyDelete
  14. a cruise is my favorite form of travel...growing up in san diego we saw many tourists as well...as a kid i always found them annoying lol..as an adult i see how great they are for the economy and i love being a tourist too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have ambivalant feelings about cruise ships. Never been on one so I cannot speak about the pleasures or drawbacks of one. While vacationing in Mazatlán, I used to watch the docking of these behemoths with fascination and enjoyed watching the passengers scuttle off the ship to race around the city during the time the ship was in the harbor. We "locals" used to watch with some amusement at the activity, knowing that the real treasure of Mazatlán would not be what they were enjoying. I am well aware that the economy of the docking cities are helped by the ships and their passengers, but I cannot help but wonder about the environmental impact.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never been on one- I think I'd prefer to travel myself than be on the schedule of a cruise social director.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Who would have thought so many cruise ships would call but I can understand why.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a lot of tourists! Mid-coast has been spectacular this year, & it's not over yet! My town's harbor is too narrow for the mega ships & I must admit I don't mind...Me, I'm so grateful to be living in Vacationland.

    ReplyDelete