Saturday, August 21, 2010

Balloons

Up, up and away... I was up early yesterday and off again just after 5 AM. This time I was 'flying' solo to the Great Falls Balloon Festival on Lincoln Street in Lewiston, Maine, about 45 minutes away from home. Got there just after 6 AM and by 7:15 all the balloons had flown. There were about 20 all in all, this first morning of the Fest. Weather permitting, the balloons go up at 6AM and 6PM each day. I had seen one or two go up in a nearby playground about ten years back, and there was the time back about 20 years or so that one or two would wake us up each Sunday morning, as they barely cleared our rooftop. We'd wave back and forth, as they showed us their champagne bottle they were making their way through, even at this early hour. Enjoy a few shots!

http://greatfallsballoonfestival.org/

12 comments:

  1. Looks like a fabulous time! Beautiful balloons and shots! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The balloons are really something. When my son David was in the Air Force stationed in Albuquerque I drove out and spent a weekend with him during the Hot Air balloon festival they have every year. He got me up very early to go see them "light up". There must be hundreds of balloons that all light up and rise up at the same time. It was the most amazing thing I ever saw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice captures. Balloon festivals are so much fun -- especially for us shutterbugs! Hope you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to see the balloons soaring in the air. Not too many make it up where I live now. The colors are always so brilliant. MB

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great (I love yesterday's shot too) I'd love to go up in one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you were out the door at 5 am. Dedication! This looks to me like untethered adventure. My favorite thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous pictures, I'd like so much to see something like this! Love all the pictures, but the one with the shadows of the people is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice shot of the balloon!

    Regarding your comment on my blog: Yep, there sure are a lot of butterfly photos right now. My guess is August is the best time for butterflies because it takes time for eggs to hatch into caterpillars, and more time for the butterfly to form inside a crysalis so it can emerge to eat nectar and lay eggs. I'm sure that's why you are seeing so many butterfly photos right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to visualize hot air balloons up in the sky when I do my meditation, I was inside it and eyes closed letting go of all negative emotions, then after awhile a feeling of lightness is experienced. You've got nice photos here! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the pictures you made, to day and the days before, are so colorful and graphic!Perfect weather, perfect blue sky, and perfect show!

    ReplyDelete