Monday, August 30, 2010

Window Art

Looking out at Middle Street from the confines of the Good Egg Cafe, this window caught my eye as soon as I sat down. It's one of those eateries with a split personality. In the AM, it's the Good Egg Cafe, serving a regular breakfast fare with a healthy twist, and come evening, it turns into the PepperClub: "offering local seafood, local beef and lamb, creative poultry, as well as vegan and vegetarian meals." The PepperClub brings forth pleasant memories of one of my favorite all time establishments in Portland, The Hollow Reed, a wonderful vegetarian restaurant. It made the BEST toasted, tuna sandwiches(my favorite all time lunch entree), with plenty of sprouts and thick slices of homemade bread. Many a Saturday, we'd venture down to the Old Port, and I'd partake in one of these. Mom taught me well. They were(my words) to DIE for. Honest!



12 comments:

  1. As I'm a vegetarian food fan, it would be my place to have a fabulous lunch!
    Different artwork, I like the teeth, original!
    Hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting what can jar our memories. For me this calls to mind the wonderful patterns in Native American rugs. Your tuna sandwich sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too think this looks like a Native American pattern. Eating at the Good Egg sounds so good right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a place just like it where I grew up. Unfortunately, it closed and haven't found anything similar. Your very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i must have hit this place on a bad day. went with a couple of friends who had come to portland with me. none of us had a meal that elicited happy mouth sounds. glad it's always a winner for you but so sad for me and my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great eye, Birdman! It's a fantastic composition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the window and toasted tuna is a fav too and I thought only seen in my kitchen. MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has a southwestern feel to it. Toasted tuna sounds like great comfort food, as long as the bread is gluten-free.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally, time to write some notes. And, weird, the space to write comments on your blog still doesn't come up in Firefox bit it does in Chrome. But any way, these windows would jangle my nerver in the morning more that four shots of espresso. They might be more suited to the evening activity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A place you can know for sure will serve good food is a blessing! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The secret of beauty is often simplicity. You got it here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmm Scrambled eggs!

    ReplyDelete