Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Hiker

Mystery solved.
Well, at least for me.
Here's an interesting sculpture in Deering Oaks, along Park Avenue, called "The Hiker". It's a memorial to American soldiers who fought in the Spanish-American War, the Boxer Rebellion and the Filipino-American War. It's been standing here in our park since 1924. Designed by Theo Alice Ruggles Kitson, the artwork commemorates American soldiers who fought in these wars. Recognize it? Some of you might. There were about 50 identical copies constructed in the early 1920's and probably spread about the world. I've always wondered about this piece of art here in our park. Why  was it here? And what did it represent? A little research and those questions, I guess, have been answered. The sculpture shows a soldier heading into battle. Why is it called "The Hiker"? Of course, you are probably asking yourself this same question. It's the name these soldiers gave themselves on the battlefields: 'hikers'.
There, a couple of mysteries solved (for me anyway) today.
Anybody seen one of these? 

18 comments:

  1. That's a nice, poignant shot. I've not seen one. I did not know about "hikers." So, I've learned something from you today.

    Re your comment on Ocala: Not everything is related to golf. But I do sometimes get teed off, and I'd rather find a fair way to go than a rough way, and I always try to keep my eye on the ball so's I don't go too far astray...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen one but I must say, he's quite brave standing there in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen one but now that I've seen this I'll keep my eyes peeled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No , they're part of US history , and did not reach us .But I like their names ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting history of the statue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hadn't heard the term 'hiker' used in that way as a term for soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No I haven't, but I'll keep my eyes open for one.. Gosh it looks cold in this shot Birdman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard that term used for soldiers either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen one or heard the term either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find it ironic that an immovable sculpture is called The Hiker. Poor guy. Wouldn't it be cool if these hiker sculptures could be relocated to different parks several times a year?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks somehow familiar. But I can't remember having seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ummmm, no, I don't think so.

    He'd better hike around though, otherwise he'll freeze tae death.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful scene though I've not heard of this kind of hiker, nor seen one of these sculptures around.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't seen one. Very interesting history though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. An interesting story and a nice view...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't seen one so far, but southern New England seems to be a likely spot, so this summer I will watch for them.

    And, Antica Murrina jewelry is actually not especially expensive, and, of course, no, I am not getting a cut.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahem. Here are the locations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hiker_(Kitson).

    ReplyDelete