Thursday, May 28, 2015

Narrow Look

I'm willing to wager that few people in the entire world have seen this look. It's a simple view. It down a little alleyway sort of shut off from everything else around. It's not going to change your life if you missed it. A couple of granite sills side to side, a dangling wire, some climbing leaves, weathered bricks and a slice of sunlight thrown in for good measure. We pass hundreds of these pieces of our world everyday. I can honestly say I have no idea why I aimed the camera down into this space that afternoon. No idea at all. That's kind of strange for me. There's usually a method to the madness, when I'm taking aim with the Nikon. Not this day though. Just take it in.
Why not stop in the whirlwind of your day today and take 'something in'.
See something you usually miss.
It might bring a smile.
Or maybe just a "Hmmmmm".
Let's try not to be so narrow.
Let's widen our views.
Heck, we might even get to smell some roses.

20 comments:

  1. I'd like to think that I would have spotted it had I been in the area. I love the shape of those leaves and the color just draws you in. Twining on bricks is another invitation for a closer look. But your advice is stellar. While looking up at the leaves I might not see the snake in the grass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like your shot and your thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some good advice today. I enjoy little vignettes like this. I may have to search some out this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ivy's a really good touch to the place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lovely vine adds so much to the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I'm seeing some bricks that need repointing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took your advice.. second shot on today's post was an impulse shot Birdman, I like yours very much.. we must be impulsive more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We too often check for images that put a very positive and "pretty" image on our blogs to enhance our city yet we all know that there are places that are not attractive in the strictest sense. I like scenes like this photo because it is reality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a similar scene in the little Florida town of Micanopy which, although longer than this and a bit wider, is most interesting. Good job! Just one thing: In the middle of a rose patch, I bent over to smell a rose and got a thorn in my behind. Some days it just doesn't pay to get up, much less smell the roses!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting reflection, in fact it happens quite often...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent post. You as a photographer see more than the usual of what folks see. You have this radar for seeking what others don't notice. Somewhere along the line I heard a well known photographer say that everything is well worth a photograph. Your words verify this but also point out that us humans may be missing something by our "bragging rights" that we are "too busy" to notice.-- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the parallel ivys (ivies?) and the complimentary colors . . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes you don't need a reason to take a picture. This one turned out really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some people call it mindfulness. It is a hard, hard thing to maintain in this are of endless electronic distractions.

    ReplyDelete