Friday, February 27, 2009

Happy 202!

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (February 27, 1807- March 24, 1882). Dedicated in 1888, Maine-born sculptor Franklin Simmons constructed the bronze sculpture with a granite base. The memorial was funded by nickels, dimes and pennies collected by New England school children. The names of the children, who contributed to the $17,171.10 memorial, are in a metal box in its base. Did you know that there is another sculpture of Longfellow in Washington, DC? I didn't. Ah! "Evangeline", "The Song of Hiawatha", "Paul Revere's Ride", "My Lost Youth" and "The Children's Hour". -- I still remember reading these in Ms. Storer's eighth grade classroom at Lincoln Junior High.

"Often I think of the beautiful town, That is seated by the sea" -Longfellow

3 comments:

  1. Ah, I used to live in an apartment overlooking this statue. I loved watching him through the seasons, in the fog, under a cloak of snow, birds perched on his head, a scarf wrapped around his neck. Thank you for posting him today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a sweet story about the statue!

    ReplyDelete