Friday, February 27, 2009

Wadsworth-Longfellow House

The boyhood home of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was built in 1785 and housed three generations of his family. It was the first wholly brick house constructed in the city, and the third floor was added to the structure after awhile. Anne Longfellow Pierce, his younger sister, lived in the house til her death in 1901. At that time, according to her will, it was deeded to the Maine Historical Society. It is located near Monument Square on Congress Street.

3 comments:

  1. They do a nice tour through the house, don't they? Definitely recommended to anyone visiting Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A definite must see. I walked by this house everyday on my way home from high school classes to the bus stop on Congress. Lovely memories. Thanks, birdman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I remember a rickety wooden house near the bottom of Munjoy Hill, across from the old Portland Cement place, up from the RR Station (Grand Trunk? I think?)...that was the Longfellow birthplace---tragically torn down many years ago. Guess I'll google to find out more. This stately brick mansion is, of course, where he lived later in life.

    ReplyDelete