Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Grange Roof

Every time I pass an old Grange Hall like this one, I'm reminded of music. It was all about dances and live music. There was one in the city and another popular one out on Rt. 302. Yesterday, I was listening to NPR's "All Things Considered" and heard a story about 'Your Mom and Dad's Record Collection', and it got me thinking about music I didn't like back then but have come to appreciate now. Dad loved Louie Prima (Just a Gigolo) and Keely Smith and his foot was always tappin' to anything by the Spike Jones band. Mom loved Perry Como and Dean Martin standards. I might not know the songs, but if I heard the music, I recognize them immediately. I can Name That Tune in just 3 notes!

7 comments:

  1. we'd make a pretty good team on name that tune, i think. i know i wouldn't want to play against you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have been listening to NPR. I think I heard that same story and enjoyed it too. And, you named some of my parent's favorites. My dad was a big Spike Jones fan and of course, Glen Miller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the artists you mentioned were giants in their, and it appears that you now have changed you tune and appreciate them a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. should read: giants in their time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. my dad loved Louis and Keely too! Good days..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard the same story. My father wasn't very interested in music but my mother liked classical. One of my best birthday presents was a recording of Peter And The Wolf.

    ReplyDelete