Saturday, June 8, 2013

1646

Back in '77 when we moved into the homestead, one of the first purchases I made was a lawn mower. The area was big but certainly not overwhelming. In about an hour the deed was done. Each year I expanded my mowing. Flower gardens, a small baseball field, a stone wall here and there were added to the yard and of course meant my cutting expertise was to be tested. Finally, I broke done and bought a riding mower. The wear and tear on my legs was over but the expanding of what was to be mowed increased. It became an evil plan. The faster accomplishment of my task at hand only meant what area of our property do I expand next. It became known as the 'summer project'. Just last week, Elenka joked, "so what's the project?; what's the plan?" I think she was kidding me. Right? Anyway, it looks like our lawn to mow has just about run its course. It would be something though, if I ever had to tackle the roofline of this house in disrepair. 
Hahaha!
I better not laugh though. 
We do have 10 acres.

13 comments:

  1. and the part of the ten acres i saw looked perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Land of one's own--the traditional American dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be in my prayers! Ten acres! The work - it never ends. And I've only got about 1/3 of an acre! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ten acres on a 'sit on' lawnmower would be a piece of cake right :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to laugh when I saw this photo. Just this morning I could hear one of those leaf blowers going but the noise was coming from the back so I stepped out into the back yard to see if I could figure out who was blowing leaves so early this morning. Across the alley I saw the lady of that house on the roof with her blower. There are no big trees hanging over her roof so I'm not quite sure what she was doing but, she was up there for a very long time. Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's a lot of moss or grass or whatever!

    i love mowing - but i also love my riding mower. if i'd have to push mow everything, i'd be in GREAT shape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just call it a rooftop garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Long live the riding mower!!! When you have acres to do---I ain't walking behind an evil smoking thing. That is why one has pastures, gardens, chickens and other things to make less lawn. MB

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have building on the whole property except for 15' x 5' so no grass to mow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. To mow that much you must enjoy the process. The ideal is now one of those zero turn riding mowers, ah yes. That roof looks almost as bad as mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, plenty of room left for summer projects, aye-yup.

    ReplyDelete