Monday, July 28, 2014

Bear

Snakes, pumas and bears. Oh my!

This is a great rock in the water, near the shoreline at Bear Pond in South Waterford. It's one of my favorite spots to drive by here in western Maine. If I had a boat, this would be a neat place for an out of the way camp. If you squint your eyes a bit , it sort of gives, at least me, the feeling of a bear. Speaking of bears and other creatures of the wild. Have you seen that new reality show, "Naked and Afraid"? Here's the premise: they take two survivalists, one male, one female, place them in the wilds of Argentina, Nicaragua or some other remote environment, take away their clothes, and we watch them attempt to survive for 21 days. They blur the vital areas, but I still found it a bit difficult to watch at times. Basically, it's 60 minutes of dirty faces, mud, shivering, animals, tears and butt cracks. Oh, I almost forgot. It seems to rain constantly. Temperatures in the 60s during the day, 50s at night and lots and lots of rain. Their diet? Grubs, snails, worms, snakes and some plants. 
This is not my idea of a fun 3 week vacation.
I'd settle for a quiet week on this pond.
No butt cracks, please.

18 comments:

  1. You are a rock...and I see no cracks anywhere. Well, maybe a few small cracks here and there. I can also guarantee that I will never, ever waste a minute on "Naked and Afraid." But you've got bears, you watch shows with grubs, snails, worms and snakes and then you would castigate our friendly alligators. Some nerve.

    Oh, wait, we have bears, too. In fact, one black bear was climbing a tree in downtown Ocala not long ago. And when I stepped out of the garage via the side door last week I almost stepped on a big black snake sunning itself.

    Life is good, clothed and fearless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the people who have the job of blurring the naughty bits have a bit of fun. Don't think I'll bother watching if they ship it over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Lowell, I won't be watching that show either. I panic if I forget my cell phone, I can't imagine coping in the wilderness with no clothes, no food, and no shelter. Of course there is that clothed and fed camera crew hanging around all the time. I'd be thinking about stealing their clothes and food and getting the heck out of there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't be watching a minute of it either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your rock.
    I am also with you on those "reality" programs. I have no idea why any sane person would want to eat uncooked snails and such in a state of nakedness. And especially not in front of an audience of TV viewers. Guess I just have a different idea of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots and lots of rain doesn't sound much like Australia Birdman :) there's something very unnatural about reality TV :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like the proverbial chip off the old block..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your rock pic--we have a few big ones like that rising up out of our pond. As for the tv show -- ack ack ack. Sounds putrid. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like some deranged producers put that show together. I'll take the camping site any day. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like some deranged people want to watch that kind of show otherwise producers wouldn't put it together...

    Love the bear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see a shark's fin, myself.

    I wouldn't watch a show like that. I find those "survival" shows tedious already.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen listings of the show and what you describe is kind of what I thought it might be, so I'll continue to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The size of the rock reminds me of the sculpture of "the littlest mermaid."

    ReplyDelete