Friday, July 18, 2014

Apple Wagon

I love apples, but in July I'm not thinking apple orchards and cider.  However, if you grow apples for a living, I bet you 'thinking apples' every single day. The farm up in Lisbon was an apple farm with hundreds of acres of trees. I've visited quite a few times but can't remember when wagons like this one rolled through the orchard  stacked high with wooden bushel crates. Growing up, when the bushel crate of apples got low in the darkened closet off the dining room, we'd all pile in the station wagon on a Sunday afternoon and head to Terison's Orchards in Cumberland and spend the afternoon climbing the trees and picking apples.
I always favored the Golden Delicious.
The bushel baskets we brought home were always filled to the brim with Macs, but Mom always made sure there was a peck bag of the goldens.
Just for me.

11 comments:

  1. Ironically I took a picture of an old wagon very similar to this just a couple of days ago. Your post has inspired me to head back home and do one of my own; now that's my kind of harvesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I miss about my home town of Quincy is the apple orchards. I never find fresh apple cider here that tastes the same and I don't think I've seen a bushel basket of apples since I was a kid. Mom would bake an apple pie as soon as that basket reached our house.
    To answer your question, no I haven't seen the 7 gable house in Salem. I'd love to one day. That was a favorite book when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great memories. there's quite a few apple orchards around here that i've taken the boys to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'thinking apples all the time'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent detail and textures in this photo. Mothers can be so thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am used to buy apples at the market, but I can imagine what it was to see these cart full of fruit...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happily, our 3 year-old apple tree has a very good looking crop this year. It's grafted with fuji, red gravenstein, honeycrisp, and liberty apples and they're all (golden) delicious. The commercial strains of delicious seem to have been bred into total mealiness out here. Thankfully, there are still a lot of ones with serious "yum!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. My cousin runs the apple orchard farm that his parents started way back. I've always liked Macs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great memory . . . I have never picked apples . . . looks like my grandchildren will have to teach me . . . xx

    ReplyDelete