Saturday, July 26, 2014

Dwalin

My sister Joanne, in Oregon, always remembers my birthday with interesting gifts. Often she sends me books we've talked about in the past, or she's brought my attention to in preceding months. Last year, she sent me me glass jar holding a small sculpture of a firefly. It sits here on our porch now on a windowsill. I think it's very cool. Funny story. I digress. About a month ago, I couldn't sleep one night and wandered out in to the kitchen at about 2 AM. When I got there, I noticed the ceiling and kitchen had this strange blue-green glow. At first it confused me. I thought perhaps it was coming from the moon or even a vehicle parked in the driveway. Neither of these assumptions were correct. On further examination, I realized that it was in fact a single firefly lighting up my world. I stared at it for a minute or so, winking at me. It was a little treat. After a sip of iced tea, I was back to bed. Strange. I won't ever forget this encounter. 
The package this July held this little guy. These days he's been put to work to earn his keep. His job? To watch over our garden at night and attempt to keep the invading deer at bay.
They do so enjoy my lettuce!
This gnome reminds me of one of Bilbo Baggin's pals.
I always liked the name Dwalin.
I shall call him that!
Dwalin, get busy and keep those pests away!

20 comments:

  1. The glow is a result of a chemical reaction called bioluminescence.The enzyme luciferase acts on the luciferin, in the presence of magnesium ions, ATP, and oxygen to produce light.

    Got that?

    Pray tell, what did you end up doing to that uninvited 'bug' that was in our house??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck, I went back to bed. I'd say it's still around 'lighting' my world.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hope so... this winter I'll employ him at my feeders. hahahahahahaha

      Delete
  3. I like Dwalin and I like his name. Good choice. As a child we used to catch fireflies (they were lightning bugs to us) and put them in a jar and watch them flicker. I haven't seen one in years. Isn't there a song about that, Where Have All the Fireflies Gone? I guess that's flowers! Maybe you could come up with some new lyrics, Birdman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dwalin is cute but I'm afraid he won't be much use against the pesky deer. You're fortunate to have such a nice sister who sends you items like Dwalin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Dwalin. He's a perfect guest even if it turns out he's not much good at his job. I so loved to watch the fireflies when I was growing up in Illinois. There are none to be seen in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The deer and squirrels will have him figured out pretty quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If Dwalin works, you will can market him and make millions, maybe billions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope Dwalin does his job . . . now may we see a pic of the firefly sculpture? (I thought you meant that the mysterious light in the kitchen was coming from *that* firefly, not a real one . . .)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on my 'to-do' list. Check in next week.

      Delete
  9. My money is on Dwalin. Would you send your sister my address?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck to him. He's going to need it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, garden Gnomes are notoriously unreliable and will play tricks on you at every opportunity. Watch out for your beer as they will consume it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not a gnome fan but I know a few racoons who can take him out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haven't seen a firefly for ages. I want to be a child again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful to see a firefly Birdman.. I never have but I'd really like to!

    ReplyDelete