Thursday, November 27, 2014

Land Ho!

The Pilgrims have landed!
Finally!
Until yesterday I did not know that the Mayflower really landed on the shores of Casco Bay. Here's proof positive that it really happened. I've been listening to a lot of 'talk' recently in the days leading up to Thanksgiving. Everybody trying to share the 'real' story of the event and its repercussions. It seemed like all the tales had their own take on when, why and how it happened. All I really wanted was a plateful of truth, but everywhere I searched I seemed to be subject to overlapping facts and the real differences as to the first 'real' Thanksgiving and the coming ashore of the Pilgrims. All with similarities. All with some differences. So, if you're are waiting for my story on when, why and how, you'll have to suffice with this. The Mayflower landed in Portland near Fore Street yesterday.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
If you're are celebrating with turkey today, enjoy.
Family, friends, the bird, football... and about 12 inches of snow here.
Gotta love it.
Happy Thanksgiving!  

22 comments:

  1. yes, i've noticed lots of hub-bub about thanksgiving and its controversies this year all over facebook...happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The American Way on the last Thursday of November. Love the festivities plus it's a national holiday with no gift exchanges!! My take on the first Thanksgiving? The very first welfare event with food shelf contributions. Lucky Pilgrims. . .hope they counted their blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That moving van looks longer than the good ship Mayflower!

    Have a happy holiday, Birdman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if you like snow you have a lot to be thankful for this morning 12 inches is way too much. Hope you have a great day with your family! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both your photo and story brought a smile and laugh. Thank you. May you get to spend T-Day surrounded by family and friends without worry about the foot of snow outside. I could wish you a day of football, but that would just be mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly have the proof of the landing right here! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And an 800 number to call. Who knew! :-) Happy Thanksgiving, B&E. Football? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving! Snow or not...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the way facts change to suit the person who's telling them :) I like your story best Birdman :) Happy Thanksgiving to yourself and Elenka!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love your version. photos don't lie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Love It, the Mayflower landing on Fore Street!! I'm very thankful for Portland, Mid-coast, all of Maine, & even the snow. Though the snow changed my plans a bit, (travel issues) it's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What I don't get is how Americans tie it so completely in with Christmas.

    Creative shot for the day! Have a good Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your take on the whole day! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finally! Proof!
    Happy Thanksgiving, Birdman! I hope your namesake bird isn't...well...poultry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going with your version. I remember in the middle 60's we visited Plymouth Rock during a Christmas vacation. I couldn't believe.Such a small rock set so far from shore. I hadn't believed the tale since.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seems a good omen/sign, that Mayflower truck today . . . xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This gets the pun of the day award.

    My understanding is that Thanksgiving was a New England regional event until the Civil War and Abraham Lincoln spread it nationwide.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope the Mayflower (or similar) will be making land at my apartment before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. At least you've got some evidence.

    ReplyDelete