Monday, November 24, 2014

Water Taxi

Here in the foreground is one of the small water taxis that service the the islands of Casco Bay. I've never taken it or any other for that matter on the water. Let me think back a moment. I've probably only taken a street taxi about 10 times in my entire life, and most of those were during my collegiate years when the Greyhound, due to bad weather, got in well after midnight. It was about the only way you were going to negotiate East Avenue at that time in the morning. The bus station was located in a pretty shady part of the city too. I must say traveling that stretch along the New York Thruway in the winter months, late arrivals seemed to happen a lot. Now, on the water, if I'm heading for an island excursion or just a day trip cruise, I'll hop a ride on one of the Casco Bay Line ferries, that are lined up here in the background and at the ready. Riding them with the 'island crowd' is always a treat too. They always seem to lugging such an interesting conglomerate of stuff in their bags. Life on these islands is different than spending your days on the mainland. That's for sure.
Taxi?
Taxi!

*Note: just hate to watch that meter movin' so fast. 

21 comments:

  1. We generally try to avoid taking taxis of any kind here in the D.C. area. All the talk is about Uber. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love riding those Casco Bay Ferries. Never rode the water taxi (expensive?) and me too, rarely have I ever taken a taxi. I would have enjoyed a ferry of some sort from SP when I lived there to the Old Port. I think they talked about it once...You caught the scen well in your photo...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful picture with all those ferries "parked" in a long row.
    I would happily hop on anything that floats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think i've only taken street taxis in nyc. whew! yikes! 'nuff said!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to have water taxis available here, we could really use them with all the canals we have...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bus stations are always located in a seedy part of town. I used to take taxis all over Chicago when I was in high school. Made me feel very sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ferries look like much more fun! I take a taxi to the airport and that is about it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice shot. What's the difference between a water taxi and a ferry? And why do prefer a ferry? People need to know these things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same as on land. Water taxi will go anytime, anyplace. The ferries have a very exact schedule... think riding a bus on water.

      Delete
  9. My kind of transportation! Would love this, but there are no docks at our farm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Water taxis?? It's just like Venice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll bend to a ferry schedule. It looks as if yours are passenger ferries? The ones we have here are larger and accommodate cars and trucks. But the destinations are varied and so are the reasons for taking the ferries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, we have one that transports both vehicles and passengers.

      Delete
  12. For some odd reason the picture to ages to load and all I could see was the top of it. I kept wondering what? That's the size of your water taxis?

    I wish we had more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good shot!

    Like you, I've probably only done taxis rarely... probably not more than five times.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to get your email address so I can answer your questions. Yes, brussel sprouts from our garden. They survived the snow....no greenhouse. It was sun dried tomato turkey from the deli, nothing like thanksgiving turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even though I do a lot of walking in NYC, and use the subway, you really can't get around in NYC if you don't take taxis. But I think the only water taxi I have taken was in Venice.

    Nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Island living is not for everyone, but i wouldn't mind trying it on one of my favorite Islands, Washington Island, Door County, WI. A little pug for a Midwest Lake Michigan spot

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice picture- for me, definitely prefer Ferry to Taxi, speaking of which- aren't taxis ferries or vice versa or.... what? google time- when will my chip be ready?

    ReplyDelete