Thursday, July 12, 2012

Country Road

My musical tastes are all over the map, but I never was or will be a big John Denver fan. I do though have a great affinity for back, country roads or the 'blue highways', as they are called by some. I enjoy how they take you in twists and turns way off the beaten path and miles and miles from where you want to be. There are many out there, but the bible we use when we are off on an 'adventure' is the Maine Atlas and Gazetteer. We are on our second copy. The first was destroyed by just sheer overuse. As they say, we wouldn't leave home without it. Whether its last week winding our way along 127 on Georgetown Island or just yesterday heading North on 27 towards Southport, it's a trusty companion that leads you back to the real world when you really must return, or at least to that 'to die for' hotdog stand that you know is on that road someplace. 
Country roads, gotta love 'em!

16 comments:

  1. j'aime beaucoup ces vieilles maisons tout en bois, elle est tres belle et doit avoir plein d'histoire a nous raconter

    ReplyDelete
  2. we do, we do. other than hoofing it, it's the best way to travel if you want to "see" where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them too as long as they eventually take me home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love taking the Blue Highways too ever since reading William Least Heat Moon's book. FWIW his PrairyErth is worth a read too. I have not read his third topographical book yet about his boat trip retracing Lewis and Clark's expedition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back country roads are my idea of an adventure. That sweet house with the greenish-blue door is charming! -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing beats a drive on the roads less traveled. I loving going places and avoiding the freeways. You find the best adventures that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, you're right. It is wonderful to trip around the countryside and see all the old buildings like this one and take a bunch of photos. I've decided I'm going to do that which will mean I may not blog as much. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use the same thing, I'm on my second WA (it's almost worn out) and I have ID, OR, NV and MT... wouldn't leave home without them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You bet I'd stop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't read on in case you were going to go on John Denver style. Not a fan either but I do love this shot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great pic and I have to say that there is nothing like a true country road.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder if the colorful suited bicyclers appreciate these country roads they now adorn? Churning heads down obstacles to watch out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great door on that building; makes you want to enter it...right. Blue highways are the best, and I'd bet that you read the book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Birdman. I was here before, catching up on all your posts. I read them, smiling or laughing, nodding agreement, reflecting, etc. But often I can never come up with a comment. (That's a compliment.)
    Yeah, I don't know why places can't round off numbers for starting times. For my train to Tel Aviv I found three different versions of the departure time from various Israel Railway sources.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You really HAD to stop and take a shot of this old place Birdman, the sign says so!!

    ReplyDelete