Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Bike Rally

These classic bikes were ready for sale, as is, a few weeks back. No excuses! No regrets! No haggling! No mas! My red, Schwinn with the thin silver fenders and the old baseball cards a flappin' in the spokes would have fit nicely next to these fat-fendered numbers. To get the real strong rappin' noise, that I guess attempted to resemble a motorcycle's whine, you had to replace the cards every few days or so. No Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays or Whitey Ford ever got placed near the spokes either. This 'honor' was always reserved for the lesser named players and those you had doubles or triples of. Now, everyone in the neighborhood had their own unique bike look. Some of the girls had 'almost perfect' bikes with those plastic flowy things that hung off of their handle grips. Most of the guys all had bikes that were pretty much beat up but got the job done. Eddie got a new JC Higgins from the the guy he worked for at the candy store, but by the end of the summer the fenders were gone and it was but a shell of the bike new in May. The main job was getting from house, to house, to ball field, to the Corner, to treehouse and back home through backyard trails. Our bikes were for transportation not for show.
We truly were bikers!

13 comments:

  1. it was so much fun when me and my friends got to ride our bikes to school in elementary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were no flowy things on my bike but, it was rather neat and tidy. In the summer, I loved nothing more than riding my bike all over town and discovering things and places I didn't know existed. I probably rode that bike into areas of town that would have made my parents worry but, I never told them so they didn't have to. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used flattened cigarette packs to make the noise from the spokes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I decorated my spokes with colored straw things. No noise for me. I am a delicate flower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lived on my handed-down bike in the summers. Brothers did the card-on-spokes thing. Spun out in the gravel, all of us, with scars to prove it. Main mode of transport, yep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Biker Birdman the Kid! Loved those flowy handlebar things as well as the playing cards...I can still hear them...A few years ago J got a bike like that at the Portland transfer station. It was about $5 & served him well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. 7a replica bags wholesale hermes replica h0c05s8x20 replica bags blog zeal replica bags reviews replica gucci l5t53m5u08 replica bags supplier visite site j5z66e2b04 aaa replica bags replica bags ru

    ReplyDelete