Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dot to Dot

This image, shot down at the ice from a bridge nearby, reminds me of growing up with two relics of youth... dot to dot puzzles and painting by numbers kits. You learned your numbers and, if you were lucky, got an interesting picture out of your efforts. My favorite out of the two though had to be the painting kits. They were special to me. On Christmas morning, Santa always dropped off a kit in my spot. Two of my memorable 'artistic efforts' were a mare and her colt in a field and a scenic shot of a covered bridge in autumn. I worked on them for weeks at a time, dabbing small angles of color all over the picture, number by number. When finished, I was quite proud of my efforts and stacked the painting on my bookcase for me to stare at while getting up each day. THAT was the extent of my art back then. I always jokingly say it's the reason I married an artist. That always gets a smile.

13 comments:

  1. Cool image. Amazing what can spark memories to take you to another time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely connected the dots when you got that wonderful artist to be your wife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great image . . .and recollection. I only received one of those kits once but how I LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was never able to finish a paint by numbers kit. I don't think I'd have the patience for one now either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I completely forgot about the paint by numbers. The ones I remember were; a clown's face and two ballerinas. One of those ballerinas had a harlequin costume on. That was a challenge for little fingers.

    Thanks for that memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved those kits too - what I can remember most is the smell of the paint!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed. You must have been a patient kid!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love to paint by numbers as a kid. I like the dots in this photo. Nature is really the best designer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks more like the top of a chocolate cake with powdered sugar on top!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had forgotten about those kits too, makes me wish I had one here to paint. I used to do those often as a kid, that and those kits that came with the fuzzy felt pictures and a set of pens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We all did something like that. I think my mom still has some of my 'works' hidden, out of my reach.

    ReplyDelete
  12. replica bags chicago gucci fake f7n81h7s50 replica bags from china replica bags seoul webpage g0v45c9g81 replica bags vancouver replica bags and watches look here o5j66y6j08 replica bags wholesale hong kong

    ReplyDelete