Friday, January 14, 2011

Lake Ice

It hasn't happened yet, but it's getting there. Sebago will be frozen over soon. Stopped by the boat launch the other morning, before the snow hit, and the sounds being emitted were eerie. Thanks to a good blow, these small, thin layers of glass-like ice were being moved back and forth and all around creating quite a lot of racket. At first it wasn't noticeable, then I couldn't get that noise out of my head. In a few more weeks, a myriad of ice shacks will be dotting this view. Now, that's winter in southern Maine.

16 comments:

  1. Winter is easier when there's blue sky. I'll look forward to seeing posts of ice shanties soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place is so beautiful! Nice shot!
    Have a good weekend. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pic. I'm surprised that our lake freezes before yours. Fishing huts dot our frozen lake--every time we see one, my husband says, "I don't get the appeal."

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks really beautiful half-frozen like this. Will you partake in ice-fishing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is quite pretty, but way too cold for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like all the shades of blue. Beautiful scenery.
    ☼ Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soon the think ice will be thick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't care how cold it gets or how many pizzas/omelettes I have to swallow for breakfast, I LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely shot, although it makes me shiver just looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is very pretty. SRQ has it right. Winter is a lot more bearable when the sky is blue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful winter is southern Maine

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've captured lovely colours and shapes in this photo. Lovely lake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This makes me even colder than I already am!! But, I love the blue colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous shot but I certainly have never had the desire to go ice fishing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We were back to 16°C (60°F) in the early afternoon, so you can imagine how strange this picture is for me!

    ReplyDelete