Sunday, January 2, 2011

Take Stock

New Years Day is always a good time to STOP and take stock. As we get older, we tend to more and more be like Janus, of Roman Mythology fame. His two faces served him well. They gave him the power to look back at where he had come and to see ahead towards the future. Me? I like to think I've learned from my past experiences, mistakes as well as successes, and look ahead towards uncharted waters with excitement, tempered with caution. It's what I was taught as a child, and it has served me well. My resolves for the coming year are few but so very important to me and the ones I love. I'll continue to follow a simple credo: Make a plan; Keep to the plan; Plan for the unexpected.
*This photo was taken recently behind a warehouse just off Canco Road. These, now abandon tracks, used to lead to a crossing known, in the area, as Hell's Gate.

16 comments:

  1. Great point you made with this picture. It is a time to stop and take stock and hopefully make better decisions for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting composition. As to plans, I think I am done with them, at least done with big plans. I'm into rolling with punches and blowing with the wind these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birdman,
    Well, good time to take stock.
    But.. I still lingering and thinking about last year, normally it takes 2 weeks before I can begin a New Year.
    Thanks for reminding.

    Wong

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a plan and I'm sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your plan. I also like the fact that you used the phrase "uncharted" waters. When I see it "unchartered" (which is most of the time!) I cringe and grit my teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your idea of a plan, it's almost the way I try to think...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love what you have written here. your profile photo looks familar. there is another blogger here who resembles you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed: Plan your work....Work your plan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting. Most of us have seen sights like this. And what happens when you step on "GO" is the imagination at work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish you all the best with your place for the new year. Nice choice with this photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the photo. I have a plan, too: stay alive and kickn' through 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good idea. I like the old railroad motto "Stop, Look and Listen'--wise words for the New Year too.
    Stop
    Look
    Listen
    Plan
    Do!!

    MB

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it. That strong graphic sense of shape and color really appeals to me. I wonder if the railroad is doing as well as the airline of the same name.

    ReplyDelete