Saturday, January 29, 2011

River Frost

Along the Saco River, these trees have taken on a white tint probably from some of the river spray. Driving along this road, always makes me recall the small red record we had in our record box called, "Over the River and through the Woods" by Lydia Maria Child. It was originally written as a poem called "A Boy's Thanksgiving".
Over the river, and through the wood,
To Grandfather's house we go;
The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh
through the white and drifted snow.
Over the river, and through the wood—
Oh, how the wind does blow!
It stings the toes and bites the nose
As over the ground we go.
Over the river, and through the wood,
To have a first-rate play.
Hear the bells ring, "Ting-a-ling-ding",
Hurrah for Thanksgiving Day!
Over the river, and through the wood
Trot fast, my dapple-gray!
Spring over the ground like a hunting-hound,
For this is Thanksgiving Day.
Over the river, and through the wood—
And straight through the barnyard gate,
We seem to go extremely slow,
It is so hard to wait!
Over the river, and through the wood—
Now Grandmother's cap I spy!
Hurrah for the fun! Is the pudding done?
Hurrah for the pumpkin pie!

17 comments:

  1. I remember this song. Thank you for citing all the lyrics! And I love the image, too. Those delicate frostings are so stunning and so fleeting. They need only the sun to touch them and they evaporate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite childhood poems...but I thought it was "to grandmother's house we go," not grandfather's house.

    Of course, I ain't remembering so good these days...heh, heh.

    Love the photo...so delicate and fragile and yet those trees stand strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, brattcat and Jacob have already read my thoughts, so pls. scroll back up and read theirs again.
    haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm humming right along Bird. Lovely photo. No wonder my photo made your sigh this am. We're a little closer to spring than you are I'm afraid!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice poem. I like it as it brings back some old memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful photo. Within those little trees lies the hope and promise of Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We used to sing this one too, and like Jacob we used to say "grandmother's" house. I never knew all the lyrics, so thanks for including them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you really stirred up a nest of memories on this one. I recall sitting on my grandfather's lap while he read that poem to me and I asked him all kinds of quesions which he dutifully answered painting a picture in my mind that I will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always give us so much to think about and bring back memories for us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the image and the poem...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still sing that song! Haha!
    The frosty trees are beautiful.
    ☼ Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the textures of the trees here. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes I remember someone reciting this to me. Also thought it was "to grandmother's house" which of course brings up all kinds of good memories like giant bowls of hot oatmeal with cream and brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saturday night and finally some free time. I can sing a few verses of that from memory, although when I was a kid if we went over the river and through the woods we'd end up on Central Park West.

    ReplyDelete