Monday, January 3, 2011

Moose Antlers

On the UNE (University of New England) campus on Stevens Avenue this "Made Moose" looks skyward into a rainy morning. As I've written before, I spent a lot of time, in my youth, on this campus, when it was Westbrook College, and in the cemetery nearby. I know it would be hard to believe, but back then a little mischief and a bit of trouble often found their way to me and the boys. You've heard of miniature golf; I'm sure. Really, I thought 'cemetery golf' had a real chance to make it. Funny. The superintendent of the cemetery thought otherwise. The Art Gallery building now sits upon land that use to be the field hockey field. I stopped by often, on my way home from Lincoln Junior, to watch the games. I didn't quite understand the rules, but those gals running around in kilts were to die for, even back then. Ah... I could dream.

13 comments:

  1. You, creating some mischief? I cannot imagine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this elegant moose, and only you could connect a moose to your childhood mischief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's Birdman for you...full of 'moose'chief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave it to brattcat to come up with the perfect comment for this post. I was thinking that the moose is looking for the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kilts, huh? That's what turns you on?
    Who knew??

    KILTS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cemetery golf? We were quite good at mischief, but really never thought of it...
    I like the moose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like art like this - attractive and you can tell what it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Like the sculpture and like hearing your memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. New England's winter Burning Man! (Or, uh, moose.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the statute of limitations has run, so you are probably safe.

    ReplyDelete