Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Tidal Marsh Run

We ventured over to the Scarborough Marsh Audubon Center yesterday morning for the running of the Snowy Egret 5K Road Race. I had a vested interest you see. Elenka ran her first race EVER! This was a milestone for her in so many ways. A road race? Wait a minute. I have to sit down for this. If a year ago, someone would have told her she'd be running, let alone in a race, you would have heard a high-pitched laughter emanating from her direction. Background needed at this point. You see this gal HATES all sports, participating or watching. Well, to be honest, she does claim to like watching a good demolition derby from time to time. Truth be told. She thinks all sports are stupid. Well, for the last year, I guess you could slot 'running' in her plus column. Running is a sport, right? I guess as much as bowling, fishing, race car driving and cheerleading are. Now, to be serious for a moment. I am so impressed and amazed that she has been running for the last year. Thanks to Donna (aka 'annie's mom) for inspiring her all along the way.
I'll be her biggest cheerleader!
So today she might be running around the boulevard.
Sheeeesh!
Me?
Running my mouth will be the order of business for the day.

23 comments:

  1. More power to Elenka! Lois Anne started running in her 50s. She's had to slow down of late but we have boxes full of tee shirts and over 50 trophies and she still holds the state record for the 10K. I can't run but admire much those that can and do! I'll expect to hear much more of Elenka's triumphs down the road (so to speak)... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Elenka! You have a whole cheering section on CDP. Go for it, and tell that ole guy you're living with to show up and cheer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That's a day to remember...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Elenka! Brilliant achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Elenka! Brilliant achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to Elenka! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray for Elenka! And thrilling for you to watch her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo Elenka! That's quite an achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for her! I would run, but I can't even manage a brisk walk without tripping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. But I wanna see the egrets run.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you are there to support her! (Photos?)

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  12. Put me on team Elenka! Maybe now I'll get inspired to at least walk around the block!

    ReplyDelete