Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Jack-o'-lantern

Here's a dad is putting some finishing touches on his son's jack-o'-lantern on Saturday. For us, this was 100% Mom's work. Hahahaha! I can't remember Dad within 20 feet of our pumpkins. He wanted no part of any cutting up, gutting out or creatively coming up with scary faces. With newspapers scattered across the kitchen and small carving knives in the hands of her little ones, that was Mom's domain.
Two days before All Hallows Eve was all about cutting up my selected pumpkin and finding just the right candle for the gutted middle.
Four jack-o'-lanterns in the front windows.
Scary time.
Now, where's that devil costume?

20 comments:

  1. Looks like the pumpkin carving thing is spreading to Sweden now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Dad and I hate carving pumpkins. I like roasting the seeds though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several knives for the kids!!?? You were enough of a cut-up when you were a kid, and I would have kept those knives out of your hands. Your Mother was a brave woman. . . in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we did a few carve-ups as kids, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a lot messier than one would think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The question is: Did you as a Dad carve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha!
      Good question. Yes, I was always a part of it. I KNOW I started the 'gutting' process on every pumpkni.

      Delete
  7. What I remember is the smell emanating from the garbage pail the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your lucky that your Mom carved up a pumpkin or two for your windows. My mom just went out and bought a big scary paper mache pumpkin for our window. Wish I had a few of them now as they are worth over a hundred each on the antique market. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dad has never been near one either! My mum now uses a ceramic one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great moment between father and son, and in a few years, great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was the carver helper with my kids--never their father--well maybe once. Nice shot. MB

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was the carver helper with my kids--never their father--well maybe once. Nice shot. MB

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always carve with my kids. But, seriously those pumpkins smell yucky.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't remember pumpkin carving as a kid, but with my kids, I was the lead carver.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't even remember the last time I carved a pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My dad was always the helper with our carving. Creating those faces was complete only when the candle lit up the grin.

    ReplyDelete