Friday, April 23, 2010

Best of...

Portland's Phoenix "The BEST of Portland" issue is out. These 'best of' stories are a dime a dozen it seems in the spring of the year. Around here, I always think it is funneled towards the summer tourist season on the horizon. I do believe they all are a bit skewed; voting and the ramifications seem at best a bit odd. But I venture on with a few of my favorites and a bit of commentary(please, no law suits!). Here are just a few--- Best Splurge: Fore Street(the mussels in wine sauce are to die for), Best Bagel: Mr. Bagel(I'll go with raisin and creme cheese), Best Public Event: First Friday Art Walk(always a fun night!), Best Place to People Watch: Tommy's Park(please, any place in the Old Port will do), Best Golf Course: Nonesuch Golf Course(Can't disagree here. Enjoyable course and forgiving!), Best Theater: Portland Stage Co.(Great shows!), Best TV Broadcaster: Rob Caldwell(ha! seen those two crazy guys on LockerTALK?). Any list like this... lots of debate.

5 comments:

  1. Funny you should post this as I am going through our "City Pages: The Best of the Twin Cities" as I wait for blogs to upload. I love the commentary below each category. Actually, I look forward to its publication every spring. Find it helpful more than controversial. Perhaps I'm just mellow this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You left our the other bests. I would guess there is a favorite street walker. And in most cities these days there are the best dope peddlers. And not to be outdone by the best used car salesman, there is the best Senator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to look forward to The Best of Portland section and kept it for months and months after it was published...in fact until the next one was published the following year. I guess we were the tourists it was slanted toward. But we didn't always agree with the selections, either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a similar First Friday art event here called First Friday Gallery Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our town has a pizza parlor, a hardware store and a convenience/gas station. I guess they are the best of the boonies. Ha-ha!
    Have a great weekend.
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete