Sunday, April 4, 2010

Hope Springs Eternal

Yes, hope does SPRING eternal today! It's Opening Day for the Major League Baseball season. Always in April I think back... Sparky Lyle, Jerry Adair, Ken Harrelson, Dave Morehead, Mike Andrews, Dennis Bennett, Reggie Smith, Jose Santiago, George Scott, Gary Bell, Jose Tartabull, Galen Cisco, Dalton Jones, John Wyatt, Norm Siebern, Tony Conigliaro, and of course Carl Yastrzemski were just a few of the cast of characters in the summer of '67. It was the the summer of the 'Impossible Dream' team of the Boston Red Sox. Memorable to me, because it was the first time that I ever got to witness them in a World Series. I do remember that from August on I perused the box score daily for any true signs that this would be the year that they might just go all the way. Although eventually they lost 4 games to 3 to the Cardinals, it was a benchmark time in my life. A summer I will never forget! Tonight, the SOX and their arch rivals FOREVER the yankees begin it all over again... the quest of the 'holy grail' of summer. Just one thing left to say--- Play Ball!

8 comments:

  1. GREAT post to begin the season of spring. Hope that you have a great season, too, with your baseball preferences! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely light and warm colors! Happy baseball season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your blog on San Francisco Daily Photo. Actually I had planned to write a short comment there then realized that you had already written what I was planning to write! We stopped in Portland last September. This was my first time in Maine and I really enjoyed it. I wish we could go back. I have been looking at your back posts – your pictures are quite nice. I’ll come back to look at more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I know what you're watching tonight:))
    Opening day is great because it signifies baseball, summertime and beer:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am watching the game as I read this. Go Red Sox!

    ReplyDelete
  6. summer is here and I am glad. I miss the cold weather but not the events of the winter. As Don Draper said to Peggy...move forward!

    ReplyDelete
  7. play ball, indeed. hope it's a great season. it's certainly an excellent photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't know much about baseball, but enough to understand this!

    ReplyDelete