Friday, April 10, 2015

Puzzling Look

Your choices are endless!
It's just like being in a penny candy shop. Where do I start?
From New England covered bridges in autumn, large sailing vessels tossed upon seas, celebrity faces, interstellar images, iconic sports photos, classic album covers like the Beatles and Pink Floyd, famous art reproductions, pictures of old TV shows, animals domestic and exotic, fancy race cars to candy wrappers and on and on and on. Name the subject and you can find jigsaw puzzles on the topic. I guess they are still pretty big today. Back a ways, Mom always had one set up in the den that she worked on, and on school snow days, she always seemed to want to get one up and running. She and her friends would pass them around. I never saw the draw the way she did. Her cousin Beverly, in Florida, did them constantly and would have them laminated and hung throughout her house. I thought that rather strange. 
Puzzling to say the least.
"Get the edges done first", Mom would say.
To me, they always seemed a bit overwhelming.
1,000 Pieces!
The cover screamed at me.
However, I was always good getting those last ten pieces in their places.
Now, that was fun.

18 comments:

  1. My whole life's a puzzle so why would I want to play with another one? Seriously, I did some when a kid but now I just don't have the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't done a puzzle in years! Yea, it was fun when I was a kid. On one of our road trips to the Southwest, we stopped in a restaurant (don't remember where) and discovered that the walls were all covered with framed, competed puzzles, some of which were really quite attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like others I haven't done a puzzle in years - make that decades! Every time I see a really pretty one in, usually, a book store I'm so tempted but I know once I started I would get nothing else done until it was finished. Just thinking about it makes me want to find one now! But I would never frame one and put it on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked with a trainer once who made and an excellent example using a puzzle. He dumped all the pieces out and asked the class to start putting it together. It didn't take them long to ask where the lid to the box was so they could see what it was supposed to look like. Aha....his point exactly. We were doing Project Management training.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if I ever completed one on my own...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i LOVE picture puzzles! LOVE! when my sis from wis visits, we set one up on the kitchen table and discuss life over them for days on end. last time, we fixed a 3000 piece one (2 sisters visited at once so we almost finished it in a week's time).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've done some of these, including ones with as many as a thousand pieces. One of my uncles loves doing these. He once did one made up of ten thousand pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After working puzzles in my youth, I figured out that the last piece was always lost in some chair or couch. But there is a sense of satisfaction in finding just the right piece and clicking it into place. Finishing a puzzle just meant having to find another one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved doing them when I was a kid! Haven't done one in years though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last one I completed was on a vacation at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So is this the way you are enjoying your retirement? awesome photo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't put a puzzle together in years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nicely composed photo. I don't have the patience for these and I get the feeling that I should be doing something more productive, like reading a book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How long has it been since I have done puzzles like this? Long enough that I can't remember the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love doing puzzles. Rarely do them here though. Maybe I should change that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love puzzles! when my sons were young, we always had a 'puzzle table' going. and i still do them! especially those with a native american feel...or artist Bev Dolittle! i have a few of my favorites glued together & hanging on the walls.
    for me, when i'm not working, reading, writing...or wandering around outside...a puzzle can be relaxing.

    have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. daunting...if I got started on one i could get hooked...love the tradition of having them out on a table at lakeside Maine camps...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've done some of these, including ones with as many as a thousand pieces. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    One of my uncles loves doing these. He once did one made up of ten thousand pieces. Nice post Thanks For Sharing :)

    ReplyDelete