Friday, April 24, 2015

Under Glass

Through glass.
Under glass.
Afternoon clouds begin to coverup an early spring day. I stated a while ago that earlier this month we stayed the weekend at The Berry Manor Inn in Rockland. This is the look next door seen through our glass bathroom window. I was struck by what the camera saw against the grey-slate sky. Really, this image doesn't do the scene justice. Nice cupola. Nice weathervane. Both found often in this state near water locations. I've really enjoyed both our visits to this bed and breakfast. One reason why is that the second floor brings forth such vivid memories of our house on Coyle Street. The big windows, the woodwork and all the bedrooms leading from the large second floor landing. Here's an interesting piece of history found in our room. There is a framed 'portrait' (under glass) of a piece of old wallpaper that was actually signed by the paper hanger: E. Heckbert, May 25, 1899 the day he was wallpapering our room. I find it quite amazing that a paper hanger would actually sign his 'work'.
Let's see.
What could I sign?
Maybe a check.
That's about it.

16 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I've always wondered what goes on in those cupolas. Or maybe I don't want to know. Go ahead and sign a check. I tried once, and the thing came bouncing back. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the idea of the paperhanger signature being framed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! A heritage site!! :)

    Re your query on my post - It is a crow soaring :) We have plenty of crows, kites and pigeons flying around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like your stories. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There were times when people were proud of their work .. I too like this idea of a framed signed piece of paper !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice someone took the trouble to keep the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All craftsmen (and women) should sign their work!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like your pic and your story about the wallpaper hanger!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A really nice view! It's the first time I hear that a paperhanger signs his work...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for the paperhanger! A talented man in his own right, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice view!
    We should sign more of our creations. I can imagine a day when the "tats" generation starts signing their kids. Wait! Did I just say that?!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. No leaves on the trees yet I see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These details are what makes a visit special Birdman.. the wallpaper signing not the cheque signing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These details are what makes a visit special Birdman.. the wallpaper signing not the cheque signing :)

    ReplyDelete