Thursday, April 16, 2015

Speed Limit

Well, we all have our limits.
There was a time when I felt I had no limits, but Mom and Dad reined me in. The 'outer' limits probably wouldn't have been my best choice anyway. I remember when I was about 14, Mom asked what my future plans were going to be. I looked at her right in the face and and said, "Make me a bologna sandwich and watch The Price Is Right'. I was pretty naive back then. I guess we all were. Luckily I had a plan and got my act together. Now, I'm sitting back and wondering where does time go. How did I get here so fast. The other day, Elenka asked me to check the expiration date on a bottle of soy sauce in the fridge: 'Best used by March 2016' it read. I just hope my 'date' is quite a few years beyond that. I feel pretty good, but in this world we all know our 'conclusion' could meet up with us at any time.
'Watch those speed limits' I guess is a good mantra to follow. The last time I got a ticket for exceeding the limit was about ten years ago.
Sunday morning 6 AM.
On my way to get the paper and a coffee.
Driving Elenka's Maxima.
65 in a 50.
I blamed it on her.
"Your car is just too darn fast."
Got no sympathy.
I paid the fine.
Mind your limits.
Live.

18 comments:

  1. If you finish the bottle of soy sauce by March 2016 your own use by date may come sooner than you wish. None of us know when we might drop off the twig, so Carpe Diem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in nearly 18 years (knock on wood). However, I do tend to watch the speed limits a lot more than I used to. The mention of the soy sauce made me think about the time about two years ago that I decided to give the refrigerator a good cleaning I pulled bottles of condiments out of there that were anywhere from 3 to 4 years past their expiration date. A lot of empty bottles when into the recycle bin that day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. made me laugh. it's been a few years since i've gotten a ticket. trying to curb my enthusiasm for speed behind the wheel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then there are those who tend to believe time has expired for anyone over 30 and who worship at the altar of youth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll never catch me above the speed limit. Not anymore... Life's too short.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for your ticket! I still remember clearly when, at 18, I were ashamed to be seen with a friend of us who happened to be 26...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only speeding ticket I have ever received happened early on a Sunday morning too. No traffic around and I was doing 30mph in a 25 mph zone. It still bugs me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Know your limits. As you age your limits become more limited. At our age, well, we are now what they call "limit less."

    ReplyDelete
  9. The question is did you outgrow a taste for bologna sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel a little sad after reading this...

    ReplyDelete
  11. A big part of of life seems to be spent exceeding the speed limits and the rest seems to be spent learning how to slow down gracefully and avoid sudden, unexpected stops.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We never know what our expiration date will be. I say live each day as if it were our last. We don't know what God's plan will be.
    I never got a speeding ticket even when I drove too fast. Luck I suppose. With age comes wisdom and better judgement. LOL
    I'm thankful to have acquired a bit of both.
    Have a nice weekend,
    CM

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never had a speeding ticket. Mine were for Failure to Yield because if someone hits you while you are making a left turn, it's automatically your fault.
    I like the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good observations. My driving has gotten more easy-going as I've become older. We are not in such a hurry when the end of the trip approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was obviously her fault. Who else could it be? Not you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Limits are interesting, esp when linked with Time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd like to say my last speeding ticket was ten years ago Birdman, more like ten weeks ago :) nothing serious, just five over the limit ! Glad to see that it's finally stopped snowing out your way at last :)

    ReplyDelete