Sunday, April 26, 2015

Unfinished Business

I was a Pepsi addict!
There it's out.
There was a time, like Ponyboy in The Outsiders, that I was  a 'Pepsi-fiend'. I really thought I couldn't go a day without one or two. In my pimpsqueak or is it pipsqueak days, Dad would take me to the Friday night Portland Expo basketball doubleheaders. After the games, he'd drag me across the street to Terroni's Market for a bag of chips and a Pepsi-Cola. It was one of my highlites of my 'alone time' with Dad. I loved that!  Now, my diet life began with Tab. Remember Tab? Maybe the first diet soda. These days my tastes have changed. Life does that to us. Coffee, iced coffee, iced tea with lemon or a tall glass of cold water are often my drinks of choice these days. Recently, I've even caught myself sampling some of the low-cal fruity drinks at the mini-mart at the top of our road. I do have some guilty pleasures: bottles of Diet Mountain Dew (Do the Dew!) and Diet Dr. Pepper (I'm a Pepper!) have crossed my lips from time to time. Earlier, when I was working the Pepsi machine got plenty of my quarters. It was the only 'game in town' as they say. But I tired of the same old, same old. I begged them to change over to Coke, just for a change. No dice. So I cut WAY back on my soft drink consumption and that turned out to be a very healthy decision for me.
So life moves forward.
Tastes change.
Hopefully for the better.
You see, I have some unfinished painting left to do this spring.
I'll probably need a tall, refreshing drink to quench my thirst.
I might choose a soft drink.
btw In these parts we call it 'soda'.
Not pop!
What do you call it?

28 comments:

  1. We call it cola.. but you know what would be even better Birdman.... a shandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We call it cola.. but you know what would be even better Birdman.... a shandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call it pop. I always think that soda is an American expression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. in texas, every soft drink is called 'coke'. folks ask, 'do you want a coke?' and you say, 'okay.' they ask, 'what kind?' - meaning, dr. pepper, pepsi, whatever...

    i could never drink pepsi. tasted like soapwater to me. when i drink a (rare) soda, it is a diet coke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swap the brand names and this is my story...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love Pepsi as well. And strawberry and orange sodas, root beer , mountain dew and all of it. I switched to diet drinks years ago but they never quite hit the mark. So now at work I have an overpriced Mexican coke with a hamburger every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really don't want to know what I call it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poison, although Lord knows how much of the stuff I drank right through undergraduate school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was a bit younger I used to spend a few weeks every Summer island hopping in the Greek archipelago, that was when I was addicted to Coca-Cola.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pop for us. I vary between Coke and Pepsi, as well as Dr. Pepper and Crush. I don't really care for ginger ale.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i grew up with 'soda'. as a kid, i liked root beer or maybe a 7Up. never have been a coke or cola fan. and for YEARS...i haven't even had a soda. they all just taste too sweet to me. i like a good sour lemonade for a treat...or maybe a margarita! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. In the mornings my thing is Starbucks coffee (a grande Pike) but from two o'clock on, my things is seltzer. Just water with a bubbly bite. No calories. My beer substitute, since I gave up beer more than 30 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Down home we called everything a Coke, unless it was a 7-Up. Now I go with its actual name.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here in the south growing up it was always called soda water (but the soda was pronounced "sodey") or just a "coke," the generic "coke," not the brand name "Coke." All soft drinks were cokes no matter the brand name! I see Lynette passed on the same info.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We mostly called everything "coke," too, because that was mostly the only game in town for a long time. That evolved to "soda," when other players arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We call it soda. I gave it up a couple of years ago. Don't miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pop or soda, doesn't matter to me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Around here, Midwest, it is called "soda" which is obviously short for soda-pop. Since it is now mostly sweetened with high fructose corn syrup, I suspect that it has resulted in our national weight gain. I now prefer water, or ice tea as my drink of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Almost all of us grew up drinking soda but it's the devil's beverage. Just have a look at my obese, diabetic clients.

    Back in the day, my father sold Pepsi Cola all its sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Enjoyed your reminiscence.

    I call it something I don't drink anymore. . . ..



    ALOHA from Honolulu,
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  21. We're simple here in southern Ohio, more like TexWisGirl. Coke then what kind. I will occasionally ask for motor oil.....the Doctor that is...10 2 4.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was and probably will always be a hard-core Coke drinker, although I haven't had it for awhile. My tastes have changed, too. Give me a little white wine these days.

    ReplyDelete