Thursday, April 10, 2014

Not Camo

This is not a replay of yesterday's jacket sidewalk shot. I was grabbing an afternoon coffee yesterday and perusing a couple of 'weekly rags', when I looked to my left and saw this tree literally dressed from top to bottom in lichen. I can't believe any tree covered in this fungus could be in good shape. Excluding a couple of relatively minor physical issues, I'm in better shape than this young tree. After stating this, I'm just letting you know I might might have to 'delete' another comment this morning. It won't be a crazy, religious spammer though. I'll probably be someone closer to home.
That said, I'm thinking it's getting close to a spring trip to the beach and a rack of fried clams and beach fries.
I'm just saying.

16 comments:

  1. I think that tree needs your help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do go to the beach, maybe bring a blanket with you?! Cool here, but lovely. Lichens are so fascinating. I studied them in a college course about the coast of Maine. I didn't know they hurt trees Mostly I looked at ground & rock lichens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like one of those blueberry tart things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From me, aka the Google Queen:
    Those grayish-green patches, usually one to three inches in diameter, are not feeding on your trees. Since lichens are able to make their own food with moisture and sunlight, they have no need to parasitize other plants. Lichens grow on the surface of your tree, and do not penetrate any tissue. Instead, they make use of the trunk or branches for support. They do not cause plant diseases either, with one exception: in certain wet, tropical areas, lichens have grown in such thick layers over trees that their shade alone has caused leaves to die.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain---LOL
    Our apple trees have mass Lichen on them. The trees bear fine apple though. MB

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain---LOL
    Our apple trees have mass Lichen on them. The trees bear fine apple though. MB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to know it is safe and that you have a back-up researcher! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you and Elenka make such a good pair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We do get lichen on our trees, of course. This makes for a good shot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed your photo and writing today. I would just caution you that the tree will be in better shape than you if you eat too many fried clams and beach fries. Taste great, but it isn't health food. Keep on taking pictures and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It needed something to keep it warm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "pORTLANDcITYdAILYpHOTO" has been included in Friday's Sites To See for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/04/fridays-sites-to-see_11.html

    ReplyDelete