Monday, April 20, 2015

Amy & Sarah

I'm thinking warm today.
I'm thinking July today.
Well, if you are planning on coming to Maine this summer, somewhere in your travels you'll probably be talked into sitting down and sampling a Maine lobster or two. Or perhaps, you've been with us before, and you'll be drawn to renew your love affair with this delicious crustacean. Whichever is the case. Whether it's a fine seafood restaurant or a friend or relative's dining room table, there are a few things to remember. First, if you are spleeny, don't watch them slide into the boiling cauldron. Hot. Hot. Hot. Next, when it hits your plate, have plenty of melted butter ready to apply. Moving right along... Wear the bib. It'll save you the aggravation of removing stains after the repast. Lobsters come in either soft or hard shell depending on the time of year. If you are tackling a hard shell, have some 'tools of the trade' (lobster crackers) at the ready. The best and most meat lies hidden in the claws and tail. Don't give these away. Now, one last important item, know that the delicious meal you are eating was pulled from the deep, briny sea by a busting his back lobsterman on a beat-up boat like the Amy & Sarah.
It doesn't look like much.
But oh, what a meal she brings!
Enjoy!
Oh, there's a bit of melted butter dripping off your chin.

17 comments:

  1. Looks like the Amy & Sara could use some serious attention before its next lobster adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DH and I have visited many states, but somehow Maine has eluded us. Looks like the lobster meals should be a huge drawing card. The boat, Amy & Sarah look like seasoned veterans of the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lobster? Not a fan. It always is just too much work! :) But isn't it a wonder that considering the condition some of these boats appear to be in doesn't seem to affect their buoyancy a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both times I've been to Maine, I had lobster. It seemed a sin not to. I loved every butter dripping bite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit... seafood really doesn't appeal to me one bit. I'd be ordering steak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with William: another steak!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love lobster. That is a rare treat for us living in the midwest. That boat, Amy and Sarah, could use some scraping and paint, but don't change the color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It isn't my favourite meal but I did partake when in PEI, the land of your ancestors! ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  9. i thought of you today, saw a car with maine plates on the freeway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really wish I had a red boat to take a photo of .. maybe I need to visit a marina near where we live.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great color on that old boat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great boat. Probably not too many girls in bikinis have ever been in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your lobster boats I suppose are equivalent to our shrimp boats on the Gulf of Mexico. I love their bounty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. one of my brothers has 2 daughters. their names are amy and sarah! how cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lobster sound good. I know it's cruel to kill them, but they taste so good...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Check. Check. Check. Check. Yup, a good list. You didn't mention that the poor guys who break their backs getting those lobsters are making very little for all of their work, especially now that the price of lobsters is so low.

    ReplyDelete