Monday, April 6, 2015

Play Ball

Play Ball!
I had a couple of gloves growing up. This was one of them, an early version, a Wilson Al Kaline autographed infielder's mit. Later, somewhere in Little League I got another. It was much more yellow in color, and I think it was a Jimmy Piersall (still holds a Sox record for 6 hits in a 9 inning game) outfield model. He played centerfield for the Red Sox back in the 50's with Williams and Jackie Jensen on either side and was a certifiable nut case. Whoooops. I shouldn't use that term these days, but if you've ever seen his life story "Fear Strikes Out" starring Anthony Perkins you'd know what I was talking about. Side note here: Marchin and I got his autograph for real at our local A&P grocery store one afternoon. He was  a spokesperson for Cain's Mayonnaise, if you can believe it. He was sort of a baseball folk hero of mine. I loved how he displayed reckless abandon while patrolling center. He must have been good. He achieved two Gold Glove Awards. If you know anything about baseball and the Sox, right about now you're probably saying something along the lines of Piersall? Is he crazy? Birdman, not Piersall, that is. Growing up, I had my favorites who I followed. And for the most part they were of the eclectic and obscure sort.
Don't get me going on Dalton Jones.
Sox open today against the Phillies.
Let's hope they are straightened out and ready to play.
2012 Last Place... long summer.
2013 World Series Champs!
2014 Last Place... long summer.
Get the picture?
In his autobiography, Piersall commented, "Probably the best thing that ever happened to me was going nuts. Who ever heard of Jimmy Piersall, until that happened?"

20 comments:

  1. Aren't all the most interesting people at least a little bit nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Aimee, nutters are fun people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, since I am not an baseball fan, I'll interpret your comments and evaluations as gospel. Play ball, Birdman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like most European people , I don't understand anything about base ball ..Sorry !

    ReplyDelete
  5. don't know any of these names, but hey, you do, so that's what counts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We open against the Yankees this afternoon and hopes are high! Summer must be near.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uhm, speaking of sports, did you put anything down on Kentucky making the final game? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember reading about Piersall. Didn't see the movie, though. What is most fascinating is that you've still got a glove from your childhood?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, I don't know much about this...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am impressed that you still have your glove from childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, the boys lit up the park today with a big win. This is their year.

    I definitely remember Piersall. Do you remember him grabbing a neswpaper and reading it under the center field flagpole? I remember more about the Red Sox in the 1950s than I do about what happened this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to head up to Denver for a game.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll take your word for it on the baseball stuff. I'm in the camp with those who find nuttier people more interesting. So long as their demons don't show up while I'm around.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being European, I'm afraid I don't :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice glove, baseball is my favorite sport. When I was a kid in Utah in the 60's the Red Sox were my favorite team. Yaz, Tony Conigliaro, I loved those guys. I'm a Houston fan now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Big Red Machine in Cincinnatti won their opener against the Pirates. I remember that opening day meant the Reds and an opponent would play in Cincy one day before all other teams or at least start earlier than all other teams. A side note here....put Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Consider yourself lucky: you're not a Cubs fan, therefore you are not crazy.

    ReplyDelete